Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting around a fountain

Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 21:18

Our landscape designer is building a small fountain to be a focal point in our new front yard. It will have a circle of plants around it, about 2 feet deep. The spot faces southwest and will get direct sun most of the day, except for where the fountain itself will cast some shade while the sun passes over.

One of the plants chosen is Agapanthus 'Peter Pan'.

We're looking for compantions for the Agapanthus to circle the fountain for a "water theme" look, though they will not get constant moisture. Desired companions include groundcovers, or perennials 1-2 feet tall to match a mediterranean garden theme.

We turned down Vinca minor (a variegated form with pale yellow margins) due to its potential for invasiveness. We're looking for suitable substitutes with similar foliage (or not), to complement and contrast with the Agapanthus.

Our soil is rich clay.

All suggestions welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting around a fountain

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 30, 09 at 12:00

What is outside the circle of plants? How is the circle defined -- concrete edge, trenched grass, paving, other? What is the larger picture? What sort of fountain design? 2 feet deep is not very big, you could fill it entirely with the agapanthus (boring when not in bloom). If I can get a mental picture of the whole front, it will be easier to suggest specific plants.

o

I have a circle bed (no fountain, tho), and I have agapanthas there. Yes, boring when not in bloom.

So, this year I have added lots of bulbs to vary from spring to fall. Plant them on top of each other, with varying depths according to their size, and you should have some color there for most of the season.

Or - if you want to continue with the mediterranean theme, how about lavender? I have some still blooming now and a mass planting could look beautiful. Or - you could plant a few small roses and lavender together. Lavender usually grows in sandy soil, not clay, but I bought some sandy soil to add to this particular bed and the lavender loves it.

Or - go with prostrate rosemary. It should grow fine for you, stays short, creeps, is beautiful when in bloom, smells wonderful, and also goes with your theme. I think this could be your best choice.

Good luck!

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 14:30

catkim: Excellent questions. I'll take a picture today to show the larger picture with the surroundings.

holleygarden: Thank you for your suggestions. I'm hoping to find something with variegated foliage to brighten this spot, though it will be in full sun. Someone suggested a variegated-leaf pelargonium. Lots of options out there...

o

Why are you not having this conversation with the person you employed?

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 20:39

We are.... we're collaborating on ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here