Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flagstone joints

Posted by bwall37 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 22:51

Hello
Wondering if anybody has any good ideas. I laid a dry set flagstone patio and front walkway with gravel base and leveling sand. I was planning on filling the joints with a mix of polysand and 1/4 minus gravel with a bit of topsoil so I can plant thyme. Since this is the Oregon coast using the polysand is impossible now since it won't be dry enough for several months. Anybody have any ideas on what to use or maybe how to apply? I was thinking just filling the joints with the poly and gravel mix using a funnel so no sweeping? I asked the guys where I buy my sand and gravel and they said a lot of people just use the 1/4 minus and that's it. Anybody have any ideas. I want this to last and want to do it right the first time. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flagstone joints

Since part of the appeal of polysand is that it makes it harder for stuff to grow in the joints, I'm surprised you're looking to use it. As long as you have favorable conditions to get the thyme ot grow and fill in, I have to believe the poly is a waste of money

o

ditto what marcinde said.

o

"was planning on filling the joints with a mix of polysand and 1/4 minus gravel with a bit of topsoil so I can plant thyme."

Polysand is for when you want bare joints. The thyme's roots will break up the polysand and it won't be able to consolidate in to a erosion resistant surface.

Pack the joints with good planting dirt, insert thyme and top it with the 1/4- if you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here