Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: I need help, I need a super fast growing hedge?

Posted by mckjab1 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 3, 07 at 4:18

question I need a super fast growing hedge if anyone knows of any I would appreciate it. we have a neighbor whom has decided that he likes to try to look into our windows. se stays about 10 from our fence but I would like to get some plants to get him to mind his own business. my kids don't feel comfortable anymore. can anyone give me some advise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: I need help, I need a super fast growing hedge?

Chinese elms- they grew over 6 foot in less then 2 years, are adaptable to any soil and conditions.
Sorry to hear of your plight. Good luck!

o

Check the sex offender list for your neighborhood!

I have lots of privet
They grow fast and bushy

o

How about shades in the windows? Quicker than waiting for a plant to grow!

o

Oleanders

o

Oleanders don't appear to be hardy above zone 8...per Google.

I knew there was a reason why I wasn't growing them as they are so pretty.

o

I knew as soon as I seen this, that is was a neighbor issue, been there done that, I mentioned forsythia to you on another thread, but now that I see this I wanted to add that you ought to plant rose bushes in a row, the ones that have the largest thorns you can find, in case he tries to come any closer. we had a guy that lives diagonal from us that was standing outside of his door with a video camera, DH sees him while he was messing in the fridge (keep in mind we have a giant white pine tree, that is over our kitchen window) DH from the fridge, starts bobbing and weaving to try to see through the tree at this guy to see what he is doing and he jumped back in the house with the camera, now isn't that spooky?
I hate to keep the sun out of my house, but I really think mini blinds are the best thing invented, and they are inexpensive.

o

The first thing I'd do is call the police. This is against the law. Then I would plant something with thorns. What comes to mind is barberry or if he ever ventures into your yard and up to the window I'd plant pyracantha. It has the toughest and longest thorns I can think of. You could also invite his wife over to watch him peep into your windows. I'll bet he does it more when she's not home if he's married.

o

I have a row of REALLY SHARP-POINTY cacti...they don't grow so fast, but they do get everything that tries to come over the fences...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here