Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbirddaisy

How many of you are just itching to get back out into the gardens

hummingbirddaisy
18 years ago

I am counting the days! Although I must admit that this year hasn't been as bad as most. We had a pretty bad cold spell that lasted from mid November - mid December, and then it turned off pretty mild. I think we have stayed cold enough to let the perrenials have their long winter's nap, so that is good.

I can hardly wait to start watching the trees and my gardens start waking up to their new year. This is my first year to winter sow, so I am excited to see what germinates.

I also have seeds started in the house that keeps me busy as well as my houseplants.

What have you started indoors or WS? Let's chit chat about our coming plans as well!

Hope to hear from you all :-)

Enjoy the day!

Tina

Comments (9)

• redhotflowermama
    18 years ago

Have been out looking and some of my daffies are getting ready to bloom. suppose to rain today and am hoping. Need the moisture. Have been doing some winter sowing and hope gets cold enough for them. Judy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

It was only winter here for a short bit in Dec. Since then have had mostly above normal temps, and I've been able to play outside off and on. One particularly warm day, I was even tempted to move a small pink flowering almond bush...but came to my senses and thought it was a 'bit' early.

Spring bulbs are springing up everywhere!

Sue

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

I've been playing outside too, trying to get beds ready for more spring planting. I have still have 100+ plants in pots waiting to be planted.

My entire yard is a garden, so I've been trimming back dead foliage and pulling some weeds and generally cleaning up so I won't waste any valuable planting time come spring.

Now is also a great time for us to transplant trees and I have some growing in the wrong place, so they're on my to-do list.

I'm in the process of turning a flower garden into an edible garden. And I see my lavender and rosemary are still green. I've added to my list to buy some more of those. Gotta have 'em.

This is the mildest winter I remember. And I'm loving it! I even have a canna sprouting!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good morning!
    We are having another upper 40 degree day. If I didn't have so much still left to do in the house, I would get out and rake off a few bulb beds to se if anything is popping it's wee little head out yet.

Butterfly, I too still have plants in nursery pots waiting to be planted. Hopefully with this mild winter, they have survived OK.

Sue ~
    We had quite a short winter here too from mid Nov. - mid Dec. It's been quite mild since then.

Judy - How is your WSing coming along? I have just a few little green sprouts so far. Thought they needed a drink Friday, so I watered them. Saturday, it rained all day long!
    LoL. Must of thought I was doing a rain dance or something that day, smiles.

Tina

• skaz421
    18 years ago

I've been collecting tropicals all winter - propagating, buying, trading. I can't wait to start planting either. Only 3 or 4 weeks now - the danger of frost is gone here at the end of Feb.

Steve

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

I am so itching to get back, But I have this big problem!!!! Mother Nature is playing this big joke on zone 5, My daff's & crocus & all that are coming up... They need to slow down, as I know I have 3 more months of VERY COLD!!!! Help. I need mulch!!!!!!:)Anita

• woodthrush
    18 years ago

The daffys are always up at this time of year here. It's just we usually don't see them with the snow cover. But Mother Nature is about to fix that this weekend. Looks like we've got a possible nor'easter coming. Possible 8-12 inches of snow for the Poconos. Stupid groundhog!!
    Pam

• Vulture61
    18 years ago

What winter? lol! Crocus started to bloom already and the daff's are about to. Roses and apple trees are showing buds all over. Spring is here!!

Omar

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Pam, my heart and spring thoughts goes out to you. That is ALOT of snow. Didn't'cha just know that winter would hit us hard right at the end!!! That groundhog need to stay in his hole if he can't cooporate! LoL.

Warm hug's being sent your way. (Anyone else have any warm hug's to share?)
    Tina

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County