Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warning, Warning, Danger Will Robinson!

Posted by Nigella 9a-steamy (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 18:34

Microsoft has announced a new threat to all of their Windows. They say they should have a patch by the 10th. See you after then.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warning, Warning, Danger Will Robinson!

Microsoft Windows is always at risk. Hackers can always find a way in, as they've proven for years. Rather than hide from them, backup regularly onto CD, and don't give into the "computer terrorists". Nigella, your computer has been at risk as long as you've owned it. Why hide now?

Microsoft advises handling this "new" threat this way:

"Users should take care not to visit unfamiliar or untrusted Web sites that could potentially host the malicious code. Additionally, consumer customers should follow guidance on safe browsing."

But hey, isn't this practice a necessity for anyone with internet at anytime? We all feel pretty secure most of the time because we are unaware of the ingenuity of hackers. But the truth is, we're vulnerable all the time.

I won't hide til the tenth, cause I've got things to do. LOL

BC

o

BC, I had just heard this on the radio when I posted it. They made it sound really scary, like there were redirects that could hijack your browser from anywhere. I don't know why they did that, the exploitation has been around since the 27th of December, at least. Sorry to freak out on ya'll.

o

There is a really useful free tool called ad aware made by lava soft, I run it at least once a week. It will reset your browser if you are hijacked and strip out the malicious code.It really does work well for being free.
Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here