Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwyet1

has postage & packaging changed???

kwyet1
14 years ago

Hi,

It seems to me that as recent as last spring, I had a choice if I wanted to send my package 'priority mail'. I just checked the usps site to mail out my 1 lb. 5 oz pkg and it seems I have NO choice but to send it 'priority mail' or 'flat rate priority mail'. There is only a few dollars difference. Didn't there used to be another less expensive option such as 'first class' mail for packages...or am I just going nuts in my old age???

Thanks,

Linda

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi kwyet1/Linda,

You are speaking of Parcel Post rates. They are a very very little bit cheaper, unless you can fit it into a small flat rate box at $4.95.

Go to the link below, and fill in the zip codes, and choose PACKAGE and fill in the weight and CONTINUE, and the next page will give you the calculation for Parcel Post, which they CLAIM is 3 days. (Baloney!)

I have had Parcel Post packages take up to 2 weeks. I was told that they are 'first IN, first OUT, and are sent on their way pending available room to be 'moved' on. Until there is 'room' they are stored, is my take on things.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Postage Price Calculator

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Sue, it is Parcel Post....even when I looked that up there is only $2-$3 difference between that and the 'medium flat rate' box. I guess that I am just amazed that it costs between $8 & $10.50 (or so) to mail out an item that weighs just 1-2 lbs.
    Thanks,
    Linda

14 years ago

You can go HERE to see what mail zone you are from the recipient, or vice versa.

You can then go HERE to see the costs of different weights to different mail zones.

I think I can send a 2 LB box to everyone pretty well east of the Mississippi for $5.95 or less as they are all in mail zone 4 or less from me.
    That same 2 LB box though, sent to someone in mail zone 8 from me (like CA or WA) would be $9.55.

That is why I won't usually respond to trade posts made by those who don't have their location shown either on their member page or in their post. Whatever I might be considering trading might be worth an outlay of $5.95, but not worth me spending $9.55.

I often see folks wanting to trade flat rate boxes. I 'know' that oftentimes they could mail a box of the exact same dimensions and weight, and would pay considerable less if they paid by the pound. I guess it is just too complicated for some to consider though....besides not having a scale or any idea what a box weighs. I receive in a lot of plant trades that could have been mailed more economically had the Flat Rate box not been used.

In case you or anyone is interested, below is a link to some nice (reasonably priced) postal scales at Ebay. $20 or less, including postage is a great buy. It helps me so much when sending plants or even on seeds

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Postage scales on Ebay

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm....Sue, I never thought of checking someone's location before agreeing to a trade! How smart of you! I am going to try to remember that little hint (I'm definatly a member of the crs club)!
    Thanks again,
    Linda

14 years ago

I also removed some things from my plants available list due them being hard to dig, and never knowing how many pounds they might weigh one I got a hunk of the plant. They were hardy hibiscus. I dug some last year for a local GW in person swap, and they were all 2 GA sized plants. I also removed yucca as I think the roots run clear down to China.

• kwyet1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue,
    Ha!! I do know what you mean about the roots running clear down to China!
    Linda

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?