Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turning down an offer

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 7:15

Does anyone else feel bad when they turn down an offer or is it just me? I've posted a number of plants and seeds, sometimes with a specific request, other times with "make an offer". I've had offers for things that I really didn't want but felt bad and traded anyway. That's usually if I have an abundance of what I have listed for trade. With some plants/seeds I have a very limited amount and don't want to trade it for something that I don't want, then I feel bad. Does anyone else feel that way when they turn down a trade when you have said make an offer?
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turning down an offer

Yes Karyn, I do also, but sometimes the things offered to me, just won't work...like tropicals, or things that are not hardy to my area, or no ID iris (have lots of those already), Or no ID hosta (chances are I already have it), daylilies (the same) etc,etc,etc...or I have had it b4 and shovel pruned it, or it did not like to live at my house, or my neighbor will give me some if I just take the time to go get it.

If they are requesting some things I have an abundance of or don't mind disturbing, I will occasionally (time allowing) maybe let them have something for postage...with postage paid up front, and I warn them that I will only be shipping when I find the spare time. More than once when I offered for postage, they said they really couldn't afford it...so what does that tell you? Chances are they could not have afforded to trade either. I'd rather send the plants for postage, than be out the money to ship plants in exchange for something I didn't want/need. Chances are that if I don't want it need it, there is a pretty good reason.

I'm so looking forward to growing the many seed goodies you sent me...twice.

Thank you again.

Sue

o

You should not feel guilty about turning down a trade. If I get turned down, I assume there were a lot of other people requesting before me, or simply that my plants won't work out for you. The same applies when someone emails you separately although you haven't even posted a trade.

o

I feel bad too and when I first traded I said yes to everyone whether I wanted it or not so I wouldn't hurt feelings but that's not good. Trading is about everyone being happy and that didn't do it. I've had people try to make me take theirs by being rude and crude but them I just delete. At first I also got hurt feelings if I didn't get the courtesy of a reply, now I just think everyone has more to do and I'll hear from them if I have what they want. It's not being rude. I do find it less than mannerly when I send something for postage or at my expense and don't even get an, "I got it."

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here