Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Question: ordering potted plant via mail

Posted by shic_2006 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 06 at 13:10

I am ordering three live plants via mail; these are potted plants. I would like to know the method that the companies usually package and ship them. How long does it usually take? Is there a high risk of broken branches and/or other damages?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Question: ordering potted plant via mail

• Posted by mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 06 at 21:59

The answers to your questions may vary from vendor to vendor. Some vendors are good, some vendors are so-so, and some vendors are bad. There is little risk of damage if the plants are packed well and if the mail carrier doesn't abuse them. Your vendor can answer your first two questions.

o

Find out from your vendor the method of shipment. You can usually request faster delivery by paying shipping surcharges. The shipping time is also dependent of the distance between your address and the shipper. For east to west coast shipment I recommend paying higher shipping charges to minimize transit time.

o

Some companies may delay shipping and ship when it's best for your zone. This prevents plants from freezing in transit or burning up in the summer. So you might ask them when you can expect shipment.

With most plants, if a stem is broken, it's not a big deal. As long as the roots are good and healthy, the plant will regenerate.

MOST of the plants I've bought thru the mail have been great, wonderfully packaged. A few were DOA and got deader in my gardens. Sometimes the companies replaced them. Sometimes not. And sometimes, I didn't even asked, just tried to remember not to buy from them again. But I do get a lot of my plants from Ebay, and have been greatly pleased. I always check out feedback and deal with reputable sellers.

Good luck with your plants.

o

Nancy,
I am sorry, but I must ask if it is DOA, How do you think it will do better, I am not trying to be a smart a$$, But DOA is DOA, Right, I love how it got deader, I just love it. Darn places should not send us dead plant's...I miss talking to you.. :)Anita

o

Well, Anita, you know how sometimes it LOOKS dead, but you still have hope, maybe there's a slight, imperceptible pulse there somewhere. I always have hope! If there's just one little inkling of a live root, I know it can rejuvinate itself.

Some places call these plants "dormant". Well, some of them are really DEAD! But I plant anyway, thinking maybe they ARE just dormant and will revive with a little sun, water, love, and a little threat (Grow or ELSE!!!). But sometimes they don't. They just rot away (becoming deader. LOL).

I miss talking with you too, Anita. I got a bunch of new daylilies last year. When I verify that they are who they say they are, we'll have to talk about a trade, OK?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here