Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingmoons

the weirdest plant trade offer?? how about you?

dancingmoons
18 years ago

I had put up on my plant trade list that i had

PACHYSANDRA plants to trade...( I have tons LOL!)

Anyway, i got an e-mail from someone...(could not find them on GardenWeb...) they wanted 500 plants, 500!! (like i was going to count 500 plants!) and would send me $25.00 for shipping...I told them "no" that "buying" plants was not allowed here, told him to go to a nursery for them...so then he offered me $50.00!!

Can you believe that??....I told him "no" and blocked his email addy :)

Anyone else have interesting plant requests??

Blue Skies!

Trish

Comments (5)

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

At least he was offering to give you something for the plants, altho it wasn't much. I get requests asking for my plants for postage, altho my trade page says NO SASEs. I list lots of non-plant items on my wish list, along with plants. So I figure most people, if they really want my plants, can come up with something I'm looking for. If not now, maybe later.

I've done some pretty unusual trades actually. Those are really some of the best, as I really have no more room for plants, altho I can't resist them. LOL

One lady offered me tons of scrapbooking supplies and she actually sent two or three shipments at various times for our trades. I had just started scrapbooking in a big way, and her supplies were quite handy, along with her advice and instruction.

Another trader provided pet supplies for my dog, keeping him happy and healthy.

Other traders have traded art supplies for my various endeavors.

One trader drove from GA to trade with me. And she brought me a wooden twin headboard and footboard (which I'll make a garden bench out of), a couple bags of sawdust to spread in my gardens, some bird houses she made, and I can't remember what else.

I've also traded for Preen and Roundup and other chemicals.

And Chemocurl drove from IN to bring me homemade Salsa, tomato juice, a Fiskars unbreakable all-metal shovel (which I haven't even bent yet!), an all metal hand trowel, some plants and I dont' remember what else.

I've also traded plants for two gnome doors and 4 matching windows and garden signs.

I love artwork and have traded plants to various artists here for some of their creations.

The odd offers are some of the best, altho the offer you received above wasn't too impressive. You could make more money than that wholesaling your plants. But perhaps that trader really wanted to fill a bed with pachysandra.

• chervil2
    18 years ago

I have had a few requests from overseas for skunk cabbage plants. I refused the plant requests and offered seeds instead. One trader persisted and sent me many friendly e-mails. I requested in return some seeds native to his country. He sent me a huge package of seeds that I really appreciated. In addition to sending him skunk cabbage I send a second package with a very small skunk cabbage plant in a bubble envelope. The plants and seeds arrived within one week by regular overseas mail. Sometimes the craziest requests end up being very rewarding. I also had a great seed trade with someone from Malaysia! Another great trade resulted from my desire to find homes for my clivia divisions and I traded for a box of beautiful geodes. I have many beautiful homemade Christmas decorations that came from my plant trades.

Chervil2

• badseed
    18 years ago

There was someone here several years ago, asking for water bugs.

I also traded poison ivy (to a collector) for voodoo lilies.

• marthaannd
    17 years ago

I had a strange request...tradescantia, or widow's tears, someone wanted a ton of it, and I had a ton of it to burn...it grows like a weed here, and wild. I sent them a box it took over $10 to ship and I trimmed them all back too, and they were tickled pink...in exchange I got the same cost of shipping for some wonderful perennials that I had been wanting as well as a huge pile of hostas, so long as they were happy, so was I! :-)

• crabs
    17 years ago

My weidest plant offer was a local trade. I offered Pink Bower Vine cuttings for a porch pick up and that person took my kids garden project along with it (on the other side of the house.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH