Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about shipping live plants

Posted by pepper_rancher (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 4:53

Please help me out with my 3 newbie questions! Thanks!

1. What is the minimum recommended size a (pepper) plant should grow to before live shipping?

2. Is it too hot to ship after a certain time in the year (will the plants bake in their box)?

3. Is it illegal to ship live plants to any states?

Thanks for your help guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
For any plant I'd wait for at least the first real leaves

That is , the first ones after the cotyledons, the first two funny looking ones out of the seed. When shipping one has the balance between 'is it big enough to survive' and 'is it too big to ship economically' to consider. If you pop the tiny seedlings in some damp paper towels, put them in a ziploc bag, and pack carefully in a box with some crumpled dry newspaper, you should be safe.
Heat should be considered. Where are you shipping? What does the person you are shipping to know about their mailbox/mailperson/ mail van? Have they gotten things alive or crispy dead in the past?
Citrus is illegal to ship to Texas. I suspect other plants have restrictions as well, I think California has some interesting regulations. This sort of thing would be best done on an Internet search by the state you are shipping to.

o
RE: Questions about shipping live plants

you can also call your local state/ city agriculture/horticulture division and they can tell you over the phone or send you a brochure. Sometime your local state colleges know as well. I also got help from my in town Botanical conservatory and state park centers. In Columbus, Ohio you cannot grow Morning glories on some parts of your property because they are considered a noxious weed if they peek thru fences onto city property.
Seeds can also sometimes be a problem depending on where you live in a state.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here