Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting in ash bed.......question

Posted by catsoup zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 6:41

If this is not the place to post this question, please direct me to the correct forum. I have an ash bed where, for years, we dumped the ashes from our wood furnace. We no longer dump the ashes there and there is grass and weeds growing on it. I am wondering if I could plant any flower bulbs or plants in that ash bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in ash bed.......question

I would think it wouldn't be best to plant them there, but imagine the folks at the Soil Forum could give you some good advice and suggestions.

sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Forum

o

I have an old bed just like this one and ivy and lamium grow abundantly there under shade of large pines. Shirley

o

I planted some verbena where i had dumped ashes, and ive never seen anything grow like this has,dont know if it makes any difference as to the kind of tree the wood was made of, but mine was hickory...try something that you have lots of, and if it dosent thrive, then you havent lost your main plants..pat

o

Hi,
Ashes are an Iris's best friend, as you can not fertilize your Iris only with ash, so I would say they would do well in this spot, :)Anita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here