Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant markers

Posted by badgardner z5MI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 8:32

I would like to know how most of you identifly your plants? I am starting to get a good collections of several species and I purchased metal and plastic plant markers to help keep them straight. As I walk around my yard I see several markers are broken and many have come up out to the ground. They might be close to the plant I marked or not. So if you have some good ideas I would really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks,
Nina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant markers

I use the metal markers as well, and poked a mini blind marker in behind them, as a double assurance in case the metal one got pulled out of the ground.

I'm like you...many have come out of the ground. The mini blind markers are clear out and laying around, and the metal markers were standing up really 'tall' after the winter.

My guess is that they heaved (just like plants) with the many freezes and thaws.

I think I will start burying the mini blind marker (just in front of the plant) and then monitor the metal markers throughout the winter...pushing them back down when the ground is thawed.

Sue

o

I haven't tried this yet but saw it recently and thought it was a great idea: using one of those paint pens designed for outdoor use or a permanent Sharpie-type marker, write the plant name on a small flat stone and set it next to the plant. Cool, huh?

o

I have used the green tie tape, write on it with a sharpie and tie it on the plant. Also have found that using a label maker and sticking the labels on the mini blinds or treated wood stakes last so much longer. The ink does not fade.

Other ideas:
writing on a little flower pot and hanging it from clothes hanger wire.
mapping out your flower beds with names exact locations.
keep a database of all you plants with a column for location.
I like the stone idea too.
Barbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here