Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_artist

Confused about trading--why no 'sorry--taken' response?

jane_artist
17 years ago

I'm new here and I've tried a couple of trades, but have not received any response, nor have the offers been marked "taken". I've done a lot of Freecycle and it is the rule there to at the very least post to the list when something is no longer available. Here I'm left to wonder if my responses have even been read. Can someone please explain the rules here? I've searched the rules and FAQ and found nothing about this.

Thanks,

Jane

Comments (7)

• lokigal92
    17 years ago

Hi Jane, From what I can see you don't have an email addy listed. Most people will not respond if you don't have an email. It needs to be unblocked also, most trades are worked out by email after the initial offer is posted. You also don't have your state or any intro about yourself. People are wary of being scammed.
    Hope that helps, Donna

• jane_artist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, wow! I assumed my email was avaiable! I found no instructions or advice about any of this anywhere on the site. Thanks so much. I just haven't had time to do anything with my personal info--I'm trying to deal long distance with an aging parent and none of my 8 siblings are being at all useful! Gardening keeps me sane!

• jane_artist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I CAN'T change my settings. I've put in a complaint to the tech support, but I suspect it's my 3-year-old operating system and browser that will be blamed--it always is. Well, it would have been nice and I have some intersting stuff to trade, but I'm not spending $$$.$$ on a new operating system right now. What a bummer.

At least one of my sisters is starting to help with dear old Dad--the sister who's boyfriend has cancer and who has enough to worry about already, naturally.

Hmm, sorry, I'll just go away now.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Jane_artist-

Gardening keeps me sane!
    Isn't it wonderful to have something help keep us sane, in this cometimes crazy world?

I suspect it's my 3-year-old operating system and browser that will be blamed--.
    I have Windows XP on a 3+year old Dell, and don't have problems here. I did have trouble b4 when I tried updating my lists using Internet Explorer as a browser...not sure if it would work properly now or not. I use Firefox, and don't have any problems now.

What browser are you using? Might you want to try Firefox?

Hmm, sorry, I'll just go away now
    Better not give up and go away...Winners never quit...Hear?

When you go to update your preferences, what happens? You log in, make the changes (show email addy to members only, and check the box to receive email via GW forms)...then hit submit...then what happens?

Or have you tried to edit your exchange lists (made your additions/deletions), and then hit submit...then what happens?

I'm not letting you give up so easily. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

Sue

• jane_artist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Sue! I was having a bad day, wasn't I! I have an iMac OS X.2 and use Safari 1. I cannot update anything or use new software (such as Firefox). I didn't try to use Interent Explorer 5.2 which I have, but I can't see it working--it not working on various sites was why I "updated" to Safari. I can get to my page, but I cannot change some of the settings--for instance, the button to unlock my email address simply does nothing when I click on it. The widnow for my zone is not functional either. This is the same problem I have had on other sites, and tech support always says I have to up date/grade.

I will probably give in within the year. I run my small "cottage Industry" online, so I have to have working internet functions...I just hate to have to learn all the new bells and whistles every time I update software, so I resist as long as I can, and then my family runs and hides for a few days while I tear my hair (and, I admit, scream) trying to figure out how to use a computer all over again!

And I do resent having to spend money on something new when the only problem with what I have is that it has been deliberately been made obsolete by people who make a whole lot more money than I do.

Oops, I told my daughter she could have the computer now--a while ago!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Jane,

I just emailed you with an offer to help you try and get things set up.

Very few members know this, but if they click on your "Journal" link on your page, and then click on "send jane_artist" and email, that it will take them to where your email addy is visible to members, but no way to email you via GW...instead it is thru Internet Explorer, and I don't think those email go through (for me anyway). I copied and pasted your email addy, and then emailed you via my Incredimail/Hotmail. You should have it now or shortly.

E me.

Sue

• jaceysgranny
    17 years ago

Jane, you can ask people to post here and then you can email them back. It would be one way to catch up with them.

I am also having problems updating my trade list. When I try to go to my member page it asks for my GW name and password when I'm already signed in. When I put it in I get a message that it is not a correct one. I finally just gave up on trying. I don't understand why I should have to resign in to go to a different part of the same site.

Nancy

Sponsored