Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: To Apologize to anyone who received a pink banana ....

Posted by wanna_run_faster 10 SoFLA /9 orl (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 14:41

I would like to apologize to anyone who receiveid a pink banana aka musa velutina from me. I know I "Shared" 3 of these "bananas" with people out there. Unfortunately I had received them in a trade myself and have just found out that they are cannas and not bananas as all. I was told they were bananas, received it almost stripped of leaves, and they were even shipped to me with a pink banana (for the seeds). I'm sorry, if you contact me I will try to make it right!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: To Apologize to anyone who received a pink banana ..

I think I may have been one of those people :) I don't keep records, but I certainly received a pink banana from someone last summer. It grew & I kept thinkin' it sure looked like a canna, but what do I know? I've never grown a banana before. Then it bloomed!
No problem for me though, I liked it anyway :) Funny, I was just thinking about that this morning, then saw your message.

o

I think we've all "been there, done that". We get so excited about trading for something we don't have that we trade off starts of new plants before we've even grown them.

I've learned to be more patient now. I'm an avid daylily collector and it's important that my plants be accurately IDed before I trade them to someone else. So I don't trade my plants anymore unless I've seen them bloom (or grow) and took pictures of them and then researched them to be sure they were correctly IDed by the source from which I received them.

So many of my first daylilies were misnamed. And I traded them under those names, disappointing other traders. But when you know better, you do better, right?

Thank you for stepping up to the plate and owning your mistake. Cannas, one of my favorite plants, really are a nice substitution for a banana. Maybe your traders weren't too disappointed.

o

I remember last year I was new at harvesting seed. I promised out seeds from plants that didn't even have seed heads yet. Then, on top of it they never went to seed. I promised out seed and when I went to gather it spilled the whole plate of seeds all over the ground. It's one of those things, we all do it. I know how it feels to have to write those e-mails though and give you lots of credit for admitting you were human too :)

Kim

o

Ha, butterflychaser! I also traded daylilies early in my membership here. I had ordered daylilies & kept the names to them, but always assumed the daylilies were what they were sold to me as. Now I have a bit more experience & know that some nurseries are not that reputable, & have found that several of my daylilies weren't what they should have been. So hard to tell sometimes from catalog pictures though.

o

• Posted by mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 15, 06 at 1:41

Good for you wanna for trying to make things right. Many folks wouldn't attempt to do so. Opening up a box from a plant trade is like opening a box of chocolates. You never know what your gonna get.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here