Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
top 10 cut flowers

Posted by markluvskathy 4/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 21:45

ok everyone! I need your help! I am a shade gardener (hostas) looking to start a sun garden for my daughter. I have met some wonderful people that have helped me along the way and given me great info.
My daughter is 6, and really loves pink, purple, and white flowers. She loves to cut flowers (all I really have are asiatics and a couple daylilies) and make momma some vases.
so.............
what would be some great cut flowers that I could put in her garden? I love dahlias, but can't swear I would be able to dig them up. I may try some in pots, but not sure how to overwinter the bulbs. I am already trading for peonies, iris, and tulips. I just don't know what all is out there!
What do your young un's enjoy out of your gardens?
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: top 10 cut flowers

I have no young un's to garden with these days, but like cutting flowers myself.

A favorite of mine is Cosmos in the garden, and for cutting. Once cut they do not last all that long in a vase, but they are so prolific that fresh ones can be cut and enjoyed often. There are numerous varieties and colors.

Zinnias, zinnias, and more zinnias. There are, I found recently, just so many lovely varieties, shapes, and colors.

Early spring it is Daffodils, and Hyacinths (so fragrant).
Peonies, and Iris are 2 lovelies (you already have covered)
Miniature bouquets of violets are so cute too in a very small vase/bottle/container.

When making bouquets, I often incorporate other things (greenery) as well...cuttings from forsythias, purple smoke bush, etc, or the long greenery left from fading Daffs.

Late summer/early Fall, I like to take a nature walk, gathering so many wildflowers/weeds. Joe Pye Weed, Iron weed, Black Eyed Susans, Foxtail Grass, just misc unknown things that have gone to seed that add such interest to the bouquet. I have made them that looked so 'Martha' and I thought worth of being a cover pic on a magazine. Unfortunately that was b4 my access to a camera and easy downloading of pics.

You might want to check out the forum linked below. There is also a forum named Favorites. You might go a search there, or post the question there. It is often slow there, but the reply answers will build over time.

Happy Gardening to you and your young one.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting Garden Forum

o

Sue you just made me want to start a cutting garden for next summer! Plus I wish I had a decent neighborhood to take nature walks in..... just weeds (really weeds, not even the nice ones) and coal mine remains around here.

I'll have to add "cutting garden" to the to-do list. That reminds me- I need to edit photos on the other computer!

Oh and I second the zinnia vote. Very easy to start from seeds, try to get a tall type..... otherwise you can't go wrong they're all great.

o

I just started a batch of seedlings which are about two or so inches tall now. I have two varieties and both of which have very large blooms with various colors. Two varieties. The Burpeena Giant Zinnia mix. Six inch flowers is what the description says. And I have the Zinnia, Giant Flowers with mixed colors. I know they sound the same but it's two seperate varieties.

http://www.burpee.com/flowers/zinnias/zinnia-burpeeana-giants-mix-prod000427.html?omn2pd=bz&catId=cat100022&trail=

I could use some shade loving plants or open to what you may have to offer. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: seedlings I have

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here