Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodthrush

Another Vent

woodthrush
14 years ago

What is up with people responding to TRADE offers wanting to send postage only. A trade is two people exchanging items of equal value (to each other). Not one person giving away FREE plants because someone pays the postage. Only the person receiving the free plants benefits. That's not an equal trade.

It's one thing if you offer to send extra's for postage. But every trade offer that I post, someone writes and wants them FREE! Maybe GW needs another forum - Get you free plants here.

Pam

Comments (14)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Pam,

I just saw your note on the Special Instruction thread.

What might help is when you make your post, that you 'require' everyone post to your thread, and also state "Trades only, no plants for postage"

In looking at your threads, it looks as if most, if not all have trade offers. I'm assuming those asking to 'trade for postage' (aka send plants in exchange for postage) are just emailing you, without posting.

They might need a refresher on part of the Special Instructions:
    * The exchanges were created to facilitate the arranging of trades of plants and seeds between members. Please do not use them to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. If you have nothing to offer at this time, please wait until you do. >

Here is a link that might be useful: Special Instructions for The Plant Exchange.

• woodthrush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Sue, they are emailing, not posting. With 'Trade' in the subject. I've started using the quote from above as my answer. It's a shame that the Trading Forum is thought of as a place to get free plants.
    Pam

• galium
    14 years ago

Pam-I've had to add a note to my exchange page asking members not to solicit me for plants in exchange for postage. I know it's not the same thing but I was getting really tired of being contacted by new members asking for plants.
    Mariann

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I often get private emails in response to trades I've offered. Not only do they request plants/seeds for postage but they aren't even GW members!

• kathy_ann
    13 years ago

I don't respond to personal emails from here when they are asking for plants for free. I realize now that you have to say so in your posts, no postage , trades only etc... I'm just getting back over to this site and have done a few good trades here recently. I was scared off because of all the bad trading going on. I'm glad there is a feedback forum now. when I was trading before there wasn't one.

• bigred
    13 years ago

Been there-done that. I don't even respond to these emails any more....Delete-delete-delete. I've seen post from others complaining about not getting responses from emails....well,stop requesting something not offered is all I can tell them.

Even if I add"NOT FOR POSTAGE" I still get some that email requesting plants/seeds for postage.

...and another pet peeve....I posted on that other website:"Named daylily for other Named Daylily" only to be offered everything BUT then get taken to task when I turn down offers.

P

• woodthrush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Big Red - Seems like people don't expect to send something of equal value in a trade anymore.
    Someone offered me roadside weeds and told me the plant was hard to find. Huh? I've just about given up on trades for
    this year. I'll sell my extras to buy the plants I was looking for in trade.
    Pam

• bigred
    13 years ago

Hey,just got back around to this thread.

I've all but given up on trading except for my regular group of other plant/seed junkies.It's just easier to buy what you want instead of having to responed or delete the numerous emails I get from people wanting stuff for postage when I state not only in the thread I start but at the top of my trade page "Trades only! No Sases!"also.

Too many medical bills this year on me and the hub's to spend the $200-$300 I have in the past on new seeds for the season so I'm back to trying to trade and once again it starts...those that ignore the "Trade Only" or offer the common seeds. I had one person follow me from that "other gardening website" to here,practically hounding me for seeds for postage......IN another country!

Don't make me get up on my soapbox on a rant about folks that troll members trade pages and cold call emails wanting something for nothing.

I use to wouldn't say no but it's gotten out of hand and I just can't afford to fill someone elses garden with the latest plants or seeds so they don't have to come up out of their own pockets. So call me a stingy ole woman ...I don't care.

P

• ms_minnamouse
    12 years ago

E-begging is pretty annoying in any form. What gets to me to are the posts people make saying they want this, that, and this and they have nothing to trade but they're ecstatic to do postage.

It really shouldn't take Chemocurl repeatedly posting the Special Instructions for the Exchange for people to know not to do this. I mean, they should read the instructions first of all and secondly, doesn't it feel icky to ask for handouts? I feel awkward replying to people who are actually begging people to take plants off their hands or when they offer me something for postage.

• ms_minnamouse
    12 years ago

And those posts are popping up so often now...

• woodthrush
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I have extra plants to give away, I don't have to ship them - I just list them on my local freecycle group and some one can come pick them up.

• thatcrazyplantlady
    12 years ago

Even if you state you don't do plants for postage in your posts, people ask anyway. If you ignore them, they ask repeatedly until you answer. If you say no, you get blasted, sometimes publicly for being "selfish".

I do freecycle and craigslist when I want to give away freebies. I used to do lots of seeds and plants for postage, but most never even bothered to say thanks. People have no idea how much work goes into packing a boxful of plants properly. The sense of entitlement and lack of appreciation forced me to stop doing it.

• ms_minnamouse
    12 years ago

"People have no idea how much work goes into packing a boxful of plants properly."

Or money! Fertilizers, water bills (if you have them), possible pesticides, packing material, etc.

It may not be a lot but who has money just throw away these days for nothing in return?

• woodthrush
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Exactly, Ms Minnamouse. And the expense of the original plant. I've had people offering me roadside weeds in trade.
    I know money is tight right now, but this is a Trading forum.
    Offering postage is just asking for free plants.
    Pam

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor