Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Preparing Plants for Shipping

remy_gw
16 years ago

Hi All,

I was asked (and have been asked before) about how to prepare plants for shipping. I put together a photobucket album with descriptions of how I do it. I may have been too thorough, but better than not enough info right? lol.

I do hope people find it helpful!

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Preparing Plants For Shipping

Comments (39)

• belfastmom
    16 years ago

I love it! This is really helpful for us newbies (and maybe some not-so-newbies too). A picture truly is worth a thousand words. Thanks Remy, for taking the time to do this for us.

Pauline (belfastmom)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

pretty cool!! i put mine in that messy shredded paper! they love it, and it works great in the summer and so on, i like your instructions too!! :'))

• chrizty
    16 years ago

loved it remy! thanks, pics are easier to understand than words for me lol
    think im gonna start mailing on mondays from now on too, in hopes of nothings sitting on sundays drying out.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Medo,
    Thanks! Shredded paper is a good packing material, not as messy as styrofoam peanuts for me. I'm a bit of a spaz though, lol.

Crizty,
    Thanks!
    The sending on Mon. or Tues. is also a very good tip for people to know.
    Sue(Chemocurl) also mentioned in another thread about using a toilet paper roll as a packing device for small delicate plants. I thought that was a great idea.

The more tips the better : )
    Remy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    16 years ago

This was a FANTASTIC tutorial!! I've saved it :)
    Thankyou VERY much for sharing!
    ~Wendy

• tuscanseed
    15 years ago

Very nice, Remy. I have some additional suggestions. One, tape the plastic-wrapped portion of the plant to the newspaper, before folding the newspaper, by a couple of pieces of scotch tape, that way, the plant does not torpedo out the open end on the top while the box is in transit and upside down. Do not scotch tape the actual plant! Second, for fragile or small plants, add a popsicle stick or bamboo stick next to the plant's stem for added protection or protection from movement damage. Have the stick taller than the plant. The stick can be securely taped to the plastic wrap around the roots, and a twistie can be applied loosely around the plant's top parts. If you ever order from a nursery, you may find sticks with plants to prevent movement damage during transit.

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Remy, This is awesome!!! Thanks for the great tutorial!!! and great additional ideas Tuscan!

Thanks

Trina

• chrizty
    15 years ago

more great ideas!
    what about bulbs? how do you usually send them?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

After most of the foliage has browned and died back, I cut the rest of it off. I then wrap each variety in just enough newspaper to keep them together...maybe folding it and taping it. Be sure to stick the name inside.

Small trades of small bulbs if they are under 13 OZ can be sent First Class mail, and it goes just as fast as Priority (says my postmaster). 1 LB Priority is $4.60 (now anyway) yet 13 OZ First Class is just $3.17, and a little less for each ounce under that.

I hate to say how many times members wasted money sending a 1 LB Priority when it could have gone for first class for considerably less.
    This week alone one-sender pd $4.60 for a 1 LB Priority...could have paid $2.49 for 9 OZ.

Another one this week mailed using the Flat Rate and the box was 2 LB 4 OZ...and could have been mailed Priority by the pound for just $6.40. Flat rate boxes are certainly not always the best deal! It just depends upon the weight of that box, and just how far it is going.
    For folks really close to me (mail zones 1 and 2) I can send an 11 LB box for $8.80...still less than the flat rate.

Besides it saving me money, having and using the scale, it also helps traders on the other end too. If I pack a box and it weighs 1 LB 4 OZ, I will have to pay for a 2 LB box. In that case, I include extras to bring it up closer to 1LB 15 OZ so as to not go over to 3 LBS.

Sue...who saves on postage money so she has more money to ship more plants.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

good info thanks sue!

• happyseed
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for the lesson on packing. I really needed it and I am sure it will help. Sonja

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

that was a cool tutorial.....Thanks for taking the time to do that for us.And thanks to all for the advice on packin and shipping too. Ya'll are great!
    Regina

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

bump>

• chrizty
    15 years ago

im just adding to wash as much dirt off as you can, they dont need it for shipping,n weighs the box more, not saying any MY name here but...:) i got some good advice n thought id share:)

• corgicorner
    15 years ago

Today I received a box of plants that was half full. There was insufficient packing. REMEMBER, if when you gentley shake the box, if you can feel or hear a rattle it needs more packing. If you don't add packing there is a good chance that the plants will NOT arrive in good/excellent condition.
    "corgicorner"

• livingdedgrrl
    15 years ago

I hope more people see this post. I've gotten some trades where it was all I could do to help the plants recover because they were so dry by the time they got to me because of packaging issues.

I used to work at a place that shipped aquatic plants. We always used 3-4 sheets of newspaper (just like this lady) and dunk the whole thing in a bucket (and tie the baggie on the outside so the water wouldn't destroy the box). We also used butcher paper.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

bump:)

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump : )

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Great tutorial, Remy. Thanks for posting it. This needs to stay on the first page.

Anyone reading to learn how to pack plants, be sure to open each photo and read the captions below. You'll get all the information you need right there.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Knittlin. I'm glad it was helpful to you : )
    Remy

• token28001
    15 years ago

AND USE A BOX. A BOX. A BOX.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks, Remy! I wish I had seen this a long time ago... I had sooo many questions about shipping plants. I just packaged up a bunch of stuff for a big round robin swap, so I'm glad I figured some of this out on my own. The pictures were very helpful!

Blessings,
    Angela

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad the pics helped you : )
    Remy

• outnproud
    15 years ago

Bump.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I figure it is time for a bump : )
    Remy

• countrycarolyn
    14 years ago

Well I appreciate the bump cause I was sure a wondering how to send a plant properly. Heck I didnt know the offtopic conversations were here till chemocurl mentioned to me. Thanks for reading my mind lol. Thankyou for the time spent on the demo, Remy. Thankyou Sue for mentioning the off topic discussions.

• forestelves
    14 years ago

Thanks, Now I send cuttings and root plants now that I know how.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Figure it was time for a bump: )

• corgicorner
    13 years ago

Give very serious consideration asking the sender to water plants before digging. If not possible, soak the plants in water before planting. You may save a lot of leaves by doing so. I am requesting senders to do this starting now.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

time to bump this up : )

• mavis07
    12 years ago

The demo is very helpful! I still have a question - how do you pack and ship plants that are tall and blooming. They wouldn't fit in a regular box.
    Thanks!

• mavis07
    12 years ago

bump!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mavis,
    Glad you liked it. Those kinds of plants, I try to find the longest box that still will go without an extra charge from Priority Shipping so about 16" long. So the box is not a post office Priority box. Then I angle the plant into the box. Some plants newer growth like the upper 3rd can be carefully bent without breaking. Sometimes though, they just need to be cut back. People often tell the other trader the plant is big and need to be cut back to fit in the box so the person receiving knows what to expect.
    Remy

• mavis07
    12 years ago

Thanks Remy!
    I've wanted to send plants but everything just looks too big! A 16' box should do pretty good tho. Thanks for the tips too. I guess they plants should do okay if they have a good root system and they are cut back some. I'll have to give it a try.

Mavis

• welcomesite
    11 years ago

I shipped a half dozen starter Crossvine plants to a few people this year and I used Spanish Moss to pack the box.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumping up.

• herbladyisin
    9 years ago

We are moving from Ca to TN in Jan by UHall. Will be on the road for 6 days. How do I take my comfrey roots for the trip. I will dig them up on the day we leave then what? put them in a box lined with plastic, lay them in the box and cover with moist shavings? I need yes this would work or what I should to. I have 20 plants.

• cafinny
    11 months ago

The link in the original post is no longer available

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living