Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Anyone anticipating trading some daffs maybe? Get some PICS!

This spring, I have been taking pics, logging, labeling, and recording locations, and the number of blooms in so very many different clumps of Daffodils. With the help of the great folks at the Name that Plant forum, I have also found the name of 3 NO ID varieties so far. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting to trade some named daffs for some other new to me named daffs, as well as possibly trading some NO ID ones for either other daffs, bulbs, or little plants. .

I'm hoping there may be others like me, who are maybe getting records and pics in order, in the hopes of doing some serious daff trading once the foliage yellows. For years I have been meaning to get my records up snuff, so i would really know what I had available to trade, its name, and just exactly where it was located. I've got them in 10 different locations on the property, so it has been quite a job. I jokingly told a friend yesterday that they were all starting to look alike to me, I had seen so many of them...sigh.

Sue...who hopes to do some trading early June.

Comments (13)

• chrizty
    16 years ago

lol im doing that this year with my daffs! mine are all mixed up in bunches, so im taking pics, n tieing loose colored ribbons around each one, a color ribbon to each type of daff. that way when i dig em up i know whats what, i just gotta post pics to find out their names.

• jim_6b
    16 years ago

I have some paper whites and a few other varieties that I need to thin and get rid of but I just don't know when I wll have time.
    jim_6b

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:25097}}

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Jim, that is sure some planting!

I've wanted to get a look like that started for years. I have the bulbs, but like you...lack the time it takes to undertake a large project like that. So much to do...so little energy.

Maybe our problem is that we lack having a Round Tuit

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Tuit at The Myrtlewood Gallery

• chrizty
    16 years ago

well im having no luck tryin to id these own my own! lol, im gonna have to post pics n hope someone can help. im even getting confused with some of the varities to put them in.
    LOL loved the round tuit!!! the square one fits me LOL

Original Author
    16 years ago

Chrizty,

Try posting then at Name That Plant...they are great over there.

Yes...I know...I have daffs on the brain it seems and the Divisions seem confusing to me on some of them.

If you post to NTP, you might add it's height, approximate bloom time, and where you got them. ...friend, Grandma, bog box store variety, or maybe in a mixed bag.

I have a thread going also at the Test forum of some of my unknown daffs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that plant

• chrizty
    16 years ago

WOW!!!! jim!! you got tons n them some!
    i posted on the NTP :) got good help with id-ing.
    i only have 3 mixed bunches around 3 trees n a few up the driveway. lol. not much but i think i got enough double campernelles n thalias for trading? how many bulbs are the normal trade?

Original Author
    16 years ago

how many bulbs are the normal trade?
    It is just however you want to offer them...or how many the trader might prefer.

Now this is just me, but if I was trading for a named daff I would be satisfied to get 3 in trade...5 or 6 would be better. On some varieties a bulb friend might be doing me a favor by sharing, I would be happy to get even 1 or 2.

If you offer in trades of 6 then you can maybe trade with more traders and acquire more varieties than say you trade 12 of one variety for 12 of another variety....but then maybe you were thinking of trading them for other things besides daffs...which would be another ball of wax.
    Really, it is what makes both traders happy but the final decision is up to you...the offerer.

I may dig some of mine that have not multiplied much. I will likely offer them up in quantities of 3 or 5 bulbs....so I can get more varieties. In time, they will multiply anyway...some much better than others.

Sue

• chrizty
    16 years ago

thank you sue! your such a big help :)

• chrizty
    16 years ago

ok i may or may not have double campernelles lol
    i just noticed the galleries theres a bulb one you can show pics Discussions & Exchanges. that would be great for the daffs i cant find names for! ill start a topic when its time for tradeing, i hope others do too,

• chrizty
    15 years ago

i cut off my spent blooms on the daffs ill be tradein, i'll only be tradeing 4 kinds, van sion- thalia, 2 unknowns n maybe a mix,

• chrizty
    15 years ago

bump
    wonder if others are doing daff trades?

Original Author
    15 years ago

wonder if others are doing daff trades?
    I'm not yet, as I am sooooo far behind it seems on about everything...sigh

Sue

• rosepedal
    15 years ago