Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever regretted Bishops weed

Posted by llbean z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 23:22

Hi. I am getting ready to make a trade for some var. bishops weed.. I was told by a very nice woman that it is a bad choice due to the invasiveness. Is this a common problem?

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever regretted Bishops weed

I have read 'bad' things about it, but was noticing at a friends house yesterday (where I mow) that hers is just not doing well. She has had it for years, and I was hoping to maybe get some starts when hers 'took off' as I've read about.

My guess would be that it would just depend upon how well it liked where it was planted, and/ or how much room you gave it, or wanted it to fill.

I've always liked the looks of it in mass plantings shown on gardening shows...where everything is just perfect.

Sue

o

It's a wonderful plant on it's own but be prepared for it to take over if you put it in a bed. I pull half of mine out every spring. It's pretty but I wish I wouldn't have put it where I did! It makes a great ground cover or erosion stopper, just not a good specimen plant in my opinion..

o

It's a great spreader. I had it on the north side of a home several years ago, and in two years it beautifully filled the entire bed. Fortunately that bed was surrounded by sidewalk.

Now that I am doing gardening professionally, I just completed a job last week that included containing it. She had it planted in a shady area, and it had expanded so much that we had to reclaim a 35 foot long strip of lawn, about two feet wide. This wasn't cheap for her since I had to dig, and break up all the clumps of soil to remove ALL the runners. Even a tiny piece of root, will sprout. To hopefully contain it, we installed a sturdy barrier edging that you pound into the ground. I put it 5 inches deep. Hopefully, that will at least slow BW down.

BW spreads by underground runners, VERY prolifically, especially in shade and moist soil.

It is lovely, but be certain you can contain it.

o

BAd, Bad,plant!!

o

came with the house....

back in 1979...

STILL trying to get RID of it...

jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here