Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

New cost of Flat Rate box this month?

Are all of the postage rates going up?

If so, are the Flat Rate boxes going up?

Does anyone know the new rate yet?

TIA

Sue

Comments (6)

• shadyplaces
    16 years ago

I saw a sign at the post office that said postage would increase to 41 cents as of May 14.

• sammiandfargo
    16 years ago

I was at the post office the other day and asked about the new rates. I'm not 100% sure but I think the new rate was $9 for flat rate box and the new rate for up to 1 pound Priority is $5.60 or something like that

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I asked Tues at the PO if the new rates were available yet on line. I was told "No, even we don't know what they will be b4 Monday. They have gone up quite a bit, but they are still the best deal."

Hmmmm we shall see.

I know flat rate is not always the 'best' way to go.

As the rates stand now, I can mail a up to 8 LBS Priority to mail zones 1, 2, or 3.

4 LBS to mail zone 4 for 7.45.

Without sending 'lead' I'd think it nearly impossible to stuff 8LBS of plant material in one of those small flat rate boxes.
    Having and using a digital scale sure has helped me get the most bang for my postage buck. I imagine more 'active' traders will be getting themselves one in the future. The other day I was packing a box (to go to mail zone 8) and found it was over 2lbs by 1/2 ounce. By cutting away some of the extra cardboard, I was able to get it just under 2 LBS...a savings of a whopping $2.95! Woohoo!

Sue

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

I was told at the PO that rates will be going by size now, not wt. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Vic

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I received a flier in my box today.

It says Flat Rate boxes are $9.15.

I had asked the other day if they were going to be the same size, and I was told the sizes would remain the same.

I was told at the PO that rates will be going by size now, not wt.
    Sheesh...makes you wonder just how many of them will really know what the correct amount is to be charged.

I've delayed getting a couple of trades out, and now really regret it. Hard telling what they might charge. Hopefully by Mon AM there will be something on their site, if it isn't there already.

For first class mail it says this
    One ounce letter-.41
    One ounce flat---.80
    Now what in the heck is a flat? A Bubble envelope? Can no small boxes now be sent First Class if they are under 13OZ?
    Heck, I'll but it in a flat box, and put it in a manilla envelope if need be to be a First Class Flat...grrrr
    Additional Ounce---.17
    Postcards---------.26

Priority Mail
    Up to 1 LB-----4.60
    Flat Rate Envy--4.60
    Flat Rate Boxes-9.15

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    I just went to the PO to ship an 8lb box, and becouse the box was also over 1 cubic foot (12x12x12) sending the box was going to be $17.30. I just about fell down,last week it would have cost around $8, if I had gone home and tryed to re-pack in a smaller box it would have still been $15.
    I just can't fit much in the flat rate boxes, so I have droped out of all swaps, I just can't aforde it now.
    michelle

Sponsored