Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vic_zn5

Sending in envelopes????

Vic Billings, MT
15 years ago

Ok, I keep hearing about ppl using flat rate priority envelopes to ship plants due to the rising cost of postage. Can anyone who has sent/rec'd this way let me know how it turned out please? I've also heard someone talk about putting a cereal box in an envelope, will they let you turn it into a box? (so to speak).

Thanks ~ Vic

Comments (35)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Vic,

I had been meaning to reply to that...and just did...

How many could you fit in there?

Sue...rbb

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I did a free for postage on raspberry plants. I only offered to send either flat rate envelope or box to keep things a little easier on myself. I felt I would be too overwhelmed having to send different rates to different areas of the country. I knew that raspberries could survive in any packaging so knew an envelope would be ok. I sent them bare root, wrapped in damp papertowel, then plastic wrap. Then I wrapped the plants in newspaper before stuffing in the envelope or box. Everyone who received them said they arrived in great shape. I did tend to send the larger roots in the boxes because they fit better.

Sometime later this summer I will be offering for postage some other things I feel could be shipped either way and will offer the same flat rate packaging to keep things simple (I have iris and generic hosta that have survived severe neglect in the past and now are overwhelming their homes. LOL)

If I were sending something that I felt was not so tough I don't think I would send by envelope because it might get crushed or flattened down during shipping...but I cannot say for sure since I have not sent this way nor received either. For one on one trades, I also sent raspberries by bubble envelope and sent First Class without problems. As a new trader, I found that sending an email asking how they prefer things sent is the best way to go...no miscommunication this way and no hard feelings. Kim

15 years ago

I'm thinking much later I 'may' offer up some no id irises...a variety pack of them, labeled as far as colors. I thought I would just make them all 1 LB boxes, as most of the rhizomes are smaller, and should be spaced apart when planted anyway...so 1 LB would plant a good sized area...and I could then offer them up to more folks wanting them.
    I hope to have pics posted of the varieties that will be included.

A flat rate envy is now $4.80.
    a 1 LB Priority box is now $4.80. I doubt if I could stuff more than one LB of irises in a flat rate envy...would have to check that though...they aren't very 'weighty'...if'n that's a word...I would not think that raspberries would weigh all that much either...but maybe so when one considers the wet paper toweling on the roots.

Kim...I'll let you know once my goodies arrive...Whoo-Hoo!

Sue

• debbiep_gw
    15 years ago

I'm sending mine 1st class this year,maybe at some point I may use priority once or so but because of the expense of trading I just have to go the cheaper way.I'm only trading plants that are tougher and will travel well in a bubble envelope.So far theres been no problems and if they had of went priority they would have been there only one day sooner.I mail from home to and they have been mailed for just a little over 1.00 in stamps on the envelope.I have it listed on my page how I trade that way the person has the option of not trading with me if they prefer priority trades..Debbie

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info!

And Kim, if you do more rasp. I'd love to know about it, or others for postage! :)

Vic

• chrizty
    15 years ago

im wondering if the parcel envys would be good for those who have to go to their PO to pick up boxes.
    would a parcel envy go in their mail box or would they have to pick it up at the PO?

15 years ago

im wondering if the parcel envys would be good for those who have to go to their PO to pick up boxes.
    would a parcel envy go in their mail box or would they have to pick it up at the PO?
    I'm not aware of anyone ever having to go to the PO to pick up boxes, unless it is a parcel or or envelope that requires a delivery confirmation signature. I am in the rural, and my carrier comes up the drive and I run out to get any parcels. If I'm not home, she leaves them on the grill, or someplace safe (from the doggies) and then leaves me a note in the box, so I will be sure and find them. She is a wonderful carrier, as is the substitute one on this route.

Sue

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue,
    I just found out that I have to go to the po and pick up my parcels! And it's 15 miles away! I even left a note for the carrier and she wrote back "we do not deliver to the houses here" and put it in the box with my delivery notice. My mail box is at the entrance to the sub I live in because it is considered a rural route and they won't drive back here! And to make it worse they are closed on Sat.
    Vic

15 years ago

I just found out that I have to go to the po and pick up my parcels! And it's 15 miles away!
    YIKES!...What a bummer. Someone I know had a situation where a box could not be left...or they were worried about it being left, and them not being there. They had me mail it to a neighbor who would be home to receive it.

Do you work? Could you have it delivered to your work, and ask that the trader send on Mon or Tues only...to assure it arrives by Fri?...assuming you might work Mon-Fri.

I just mailed one today...that wants del by Fri...NOT on a SAT. It is going to her work place.

Hmmmmm...it sure would be interesting to see if you scheduled on line for a pick up, if they would come and get it. There is a box to check if the package will be at the box, or if not, then where it will be. It asks if the box will be within 1/2 mile of the box. Why not schedule one...and then see what kind of BS the carrier might give you...or the Postmaster if'n she just leaves you a note. My guess is that she doesn't want to go to the house...but that it may indeed be her job to do so.

Well, heck...I am on a rural route. My box is at the end of the drive. My carrier comes up my drive, and even gets out if need be. That is just absurd! I don't think that is right. I wonder if the carrier is wrong. I'd call and ask to speak to the Postmaster/mistress, and see what he/she says.

Sue

15 years ago

Hey...maybe you even have a Contractor for a carrier and she doesn't know what is 'expected' of her.

Here is a link that might be useful: USPS Contracting Out Mail Delivery...dated 2/27/2007

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I went to the po and asked! They are no help, she tried to call the supervisor up front to help and after standing there for 10min with my sleeping 3 yr old in my arms I gave up!

She did say they will not deliver to some houses d/t distance and I asked about putting a box of some sort out there, she said I could and some ppl do, but know one can tell me if there is certain restrictions on them. It would have to be homemade, as the bought ones are like $200 and up! I'm thinking about putting my big blue tote out there that I used to leave on the front porch in MI for my parcels and see what happens, but then of course she would have to get off her a-- and get out of the truck!

I thought about the pick-up thing too, but my mail comes so late that I would not be able to get to the po to mail it if they won't pick it up. And of course just moving I will not be doing a lot of trading just yet, I just did 2 house plant trades and didn't want to take the chance of them not getting picked up. I am going to check the distance to the box according to mapquest it is .4 miles, but that doesn't count my driveway .2 miles.

ALSO, the po I have to go to is the FARTHEST one from my house! When I asked about getting stuff left at the po that is only 5-6 miles I was told that is the office my carrier is out of, so that is where it will be left!

UPS comes to my door! I might have to start paying the senders extra and see if they will send via UPS! At $4.00 a gal for gas and 23mpg in my van, if I do anymore plants for postage it might be cheaper! LOL

Vic

• chrizty
    15 years ago

vic has any one sent you seeds in a bubble envy? if so did you get them in your box or did you have to pick it up?
    if not we may have to send you a bubble envy to see what happends :)
    you could ask your traders if they can send ups or fedEx as they will deliver to your home :)

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, a 3# box from Bad Axe, MI to me 59106
    usps priority $9.55
    ups $11.33
    So, considering the cost of gas, it would be cheaper for me to pay my sender extra for ups, that is if they have access to them for pick up and don't have to go drop the box off.
    I think I can get a bubble, but don't know yet.
    Vic

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I've use padded envelopes for mailing some plants and have never had a problem. I wrap them in a couple layers of bubble wrap in addition to the padded mailer. I still use a box for mailing most plants but some will travel well in an envelope. I often use a padded mailer for unrooted cuttings. After wrapping the end of a cutting I slide it into a rigid cardboard tube. If I'm using a paper towel roll I'll double it to make it rigid. I secure the cuttings in the tube then put it in the padded envelope. Anything I've sent this way has arrived in good condition.
    Karyn

• medontdo
    15 years ago

heck just make a box out of wood!! LOL one that is rectangle and have a flap so she can pull down on it and put your numbers on it. i don't know why in the world they wouldnt go up to your house!! that's just rediculous!! usps and their rules!! ahhhhh see what i mean sue!!

15 years ago

Hey Vic (prev 21 last year, and now #1)

Have you got the box delivery thing figured out yet? I was wondering...does hubby go by the PO when he is going to or from work?

I still have you in mind...for the goodies for postage...and just want to know that you won't have a 30 mile round trip just to get it. I imagine with gas as it is, that you are maybe like me, and severely limit trips to town until you 'have' to go for something really needed.

Maybe I could plan to mail on a Mon, and hopefully you would get the notice by Wed or Thurs, and then just plan to do your 'town' thing late in the week.

I need to review your list of wants, and maybe cut them back, pot up, and then when I ship flat rate, I can include a bit of soil with them.

I agree...when You are expecting a trade in, just take your home made wooden box out and chain it to the mail box post until it arrives....and put your mail box number boldly on it.

It's still gonna be a couple of weeks at least b4 I can see the light of day here. Going to the Louisville Plant Swap last Sat really set me behind...What 'WAS' I thinking?

Sue...off to try and 'deal with' a few more plants today. I can only figure out so many in one days time, and then I go into overload, and can't even think.

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, no, I haven't gotten a box out yet, no one seems to know what and if I can do that! But, there WILL be one soon! After driving the 15 miles to pick up 2 packages to have them tell me THEY CAN'T FIND THEM!! I am going to get something out there!
    Vic

15 years ago

When in the meantime you might try contacting your Congressman...and also writing the Post Master General about packages not being delivered.

Isn't that their job? To deliver mail, even if it is parcels?

Postmaster General John E. (Jack) Potter
    475 L'Enfant Plaza SW
    Washington, DC 20260-3100

Did they ever find your packages? I sure hope they weren't plants dieing due to their negligence and refusal to deliver. That is just outrageous. I think some heads need to roll withing the USPS. Granted, there are many fine employees who do their job, and do it well, and are kind, and go above and beyond the call of duty, but then there are those who want to do as little as possible, are ill informed about their job, and who have an 'attitude'. I sure hope you can get something straightened out about the package delivery, and pick-up too.

Sheesh!

Sue

• chrizty
    15 years ago

vicky im mailing you out a parcel bubble envy tomarrow, let us know if it gets put in your mail box or if you have to pick it up.

no worrys if you have to pick it up, its just strawberry [dormat] plants i bought at wallmart last month n never got planted, n a few seeds.

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awe, thanks Chrizty! That is very nice of you after the HUGE box you already sent!

Sue, yes, I got my boxes! When the "supervisor" at the po said he called my carrier and they still couldn't find it, what he didn't tell me was that she did not ans. her ph. so they didn't know if she had the boxes or not! The next morning they called, she had the boxes in her truck at home with her, she had taken them out to try and deliver to me because she felt bad that I had to drive so far to pick them up, but she couldn't find my house. It is not easy to find without specific directions. She called me when she was close to the neighborhood and I met her at the boxes. She said anytype of box I put would be fine and it was up to me weather to worry about if I want a lock on it, I'm still debating that part! Now that I know what time she comes by, I might just put a big plastic tote out there and see. Maybe I will mail myself something, or just leave a box in it for a few days and see if anyone takes it! I would hate to loose plants to mail theives!

Vic

15 years ago

Great!

How about this...you ask anyone mailing plants to you to be sure and let you know the exact day it is mailed. How about putting some sort of a cheapie padlock in the mailbox, and then asking the carrier to please put the lock on the wooden box with hasp, once the package is delivered?
    That is so sweet of her to try and make a second attempt to deliver...sure going beyond the call of duty.
    By the same token, if you have a box to go out, could you then leave the key in the box that she could unlock it and get it.
    I just cannot fathom the idea of having a mailbox being that far from one's house.
    Who's idea was that anyway?

If you make a wooden box, had best make it big enough to hold the long tube boxes...I can't remember just how long those are, but I often get plants in them...in fact, one just last week.

or just leave a box in it for a few days and see if anyone takes it!
    Now that would be a bit different than the carrier putting something it at its usual time, and you getting it out shortly afterwards. I would never hang anything off my box here in the rural, though it is just at the end of the drive, it is out of sight of the house, due to a little wooded like area.

That Chrizty is a sweetie, isn't she? She has not been posing for very long, but it seems like she is a real veteran.

Sue

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue,
    "or just leave a box in it for a few days and see if anyone takes it!" I meant leave one of those big blue totes out there by my mail box to put packages in, but there would be no lock so I was going to put a "fake" parcel in there just to see if anyone would steel it. It just seems odd to have to lock it, I don't lock my mailbox. The mail carrier said that if I wanted I could give her a key and when she wasn't on duty it would be there for whoever took her place, then I wouldn't have to leave it in the box.

Just one more thing to ponder about!

And yes, Chrizty is a sweetie, but I've always thought that of you too!

Vic

• chrizty
    15 years ago

vic thats great your carrier will bring boxes to your mail box!! very sweet of her
    ive meet alot of sweet peoples in GW :)

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, she did it that once, but I don't think it will continue. I'm still going to have to make a box!

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WHOOHOO!!!! It was like Christmas today!!
    I seen one of the packages I was expecting should have arrived today by the DC# So, I rushed to the mailbox to see if I got my notice to go pick it up. I got there just as the mail lady was there she said she didn't have my ph# anymore (she gave me the paper back that it was on with her cell ph# on it) Anyhow, she had my box and again couldn't find my house! She did take my # and said she would call me when I had a pkg. and I could meet her there till I get a box out. She is also going to scan it as delivered before she leaves the po, that way I'll know to be expecting her call! Isn't she sweet!

So THEN, I went to the mailbox to get the other mail!!! It was crammed full! I had another trade that she sent in a box that would fit in the mailbox, and TWO bubble envies!!

One of them was a great envelope from you Christy!! Thanks for the berries and all the great seeds!! That is just wonderfull!!!

I had just went this morning and got 200lbs of compost and 2 big totes of mulch! I get it from the landfill, it's free!! The only reason I know it's 200lbs is that you have to get on the scales before and after you load it. All I know is that 200lbs is A LOT of shovel fulls!!

Now I'm out to plant!!! Yah!

Vic

• chrizty
    15 years ago

wow you had a great day vicky:)
    glad you got the envy in your box, that sweet your carrier will call you when you get a box!

sue i sent you e-mail

• prairiewinds
    15 years ago

Hey Vic? How's the planting going? Where are you in MT? Maybe I can get some plants to you

15 years ago

Hey Vic!

Please send addy...you might be #1 soon. We got rain yesterday, and I may just get it all together for you here soon...Had best try and mail Mon, as Fri is the 4th, since you are out west, and it 'may' take 3 days.

My high speed is down, but I will check my email for your new addy...not sure if or when you sent it. I'll let you know for sure when it goes out. Lilies, artemesia, beebalm, and maybe other things...or can send more things later. You sure have been waiting patiently (?!?) a looooong time on me. I'll let you know for sure once it is on it's way...or the USPS click and ship will give you notification (I think) if I fill in your email addy.

ttyl

Sue

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Prairiewinds, I'm in the Billings area. I see from your member page you are in Northern MT, where abouts?
    Nice to meet ya neighbor! I'm sure you could give me good advice in planting around here! I've heard it's quite a challange!
    Thanks,
    Vic

15 years ago

Horrid news...I sent Vic a Flat Rate 6 LB box stuffed with lots and lots of goodies, and the substitute carrier left it at her mail box (over 1/2 mile from her house) and it was STOLEN. It took me probably about 3 hours total to dig and package them all...as there was over 20 fans alone of daylilies in there. We are both sick. I just talked to 'my' PO and they discussed options she could use instead of having to drive 15 miles one way to her PO for package pick-up.

Vic is MAD as well, and said she was going to go looking to see if she might see the remains of the contents discarded somewhere along the road...since it is doubtful it was stolen by a gardener...and there was no hint on the outside of the box that it was plants...sigh.

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MAD IS NOT THE WORD FOR IT! If I could have put that in big bold red letters I would have!

So.......I drove around the neighborhood for over 2 1/2 hrs hoping I could find the discarded box in a ditch some where, I even put a big sign up at the boxes asking that the person return the package (as if that will happen!) I spoke to the supervisor at the po again (they all know me by name and address now!) She was very helpful, she did try to call the sub carrier again today but had to leave a msg and hasn't gotten a call back yet, Hmmmm, I think she knows she is in trouble!

Anyhow, the super had some ideas, she mentioned trying to get some of the ppl in here to go in on a "cluster box" which has a parcel box also (like in apts or mobil home parks) however, the po will not supply the box, they will supply additional boxes if needed at no charge, ie: the largest one is a 24 unit, lets say 32 ppl are willing to do this, we buy the first one and they buy the second. I just got off the ph with her again, she was checking prices, it will cost approx $50-60 per person to purchase a box. I seen on the internet a "parcel locker" which is just a 2 door locker, much cheaper, I asked her about that, if I get ppl to go in on it and we get one of those and ONLY the ppl that help pay for the box get there pkgs in it and have a key to it, the rest have to go to the po. I am guessing given the condition of the other side of the neighborhood (which I just seen today for the first time) that there will not be many ppl going in on this!

I also asked her about getting my mail delivered to the parcel locker in the new sub they put in past my house, she said that is a box the residents all went in on and purchased and she doesn't think it's full. If they do not care that I use one of the boxes they will switch my mail to there! That sounds like the easiest/cheapest way to go.
    As soon as Zack gets up from his nap I'm going to go over there and talk to a few ppl and see what I can find out!

It is just sooooo frustrating, I am trying to take this summer off and spend time with Zack before he starts pre school next yr and I have to go back to work. With out me working my garden budget is pretty much $0, I brought the plants i got in trade last yr (the ones that I didn't kill) and have traded off my house plants, and a few plants I brought like my hostas that I found out once I got here I had no shade to put them in! And I even had a trade in the making for one of the extra DL's Sue was sending me for a Formosa Lily! I have been going to a house that has river rock in the yard she wants to get rid of and getting it for free to make my borders, going to the landfill and shoveling compost into my minivan and mulch into totes because it is free and I just don't have the extra money to have a load of good dirt delivered. I walked around all weekend making plans where to put the plants I was getting from Sue! I was sooo excited when she sent me the list of plants! It was a wonderful list! And now this!! I must admit I was even in tears a couple times today, how can ppl be so rotten! AND if I see one more plea on here for ppl to get plants that have nothing to trade I will probably SCREAM! I feel like posting a "My plants were stolen! Can you send me some for postage"!!!

Well, my anger is getting the better of me so I should sign off now! It is starting to storm outside and we will get some much needed rain, and thanks to some wonderful GWer's I do have some plants that need water!

Sue, I will keep you posted on what happens, my reg mail carrier is even looking to see if she will find my discarded box some where! At the very LEAST I am going to see about getting the postage refunded!

All done whinning for now!
    Vic

15 years ago

MAD IS NOT THE WORD FOR IT!If I could have put that in big bold red letters I would have!

There ya go GF...Thanks for the update. I really hope it all works out. In that parcel locker, does each customer have their own personal locker...where no one else has access?

Sue...who will make it up to you...when she has some spare time again...sigh

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Oh, Vic...That's horrible. People are horrible sometimes. I can imagine how disappointed you are (AND ticked!).
    I had some named daylilies stolen out of my flower beds. They waited until I left for the day, and then dug up over half of my lilies! Can you believe the NERVE of those people?? And of course, the cops just laugh...nothing funnier than stolen lilies, to some backwoods cops.
    Gee willickers.

I hope you are able to get a box soon...or at least SOMEPLACE safe for your packages. Having a PO that far away is annoying, I know. Ours is 20 miles away, but the closest one is about 8. Like yours, though, the one our carrier comes from is on the very southern side of the town, so it's 20 miles away...and the parking lot has exactly 3 spaces, and is on a hillside, with a one lane road beside it. This in a town of 60,000 people?!
    The community I live in has only 50 people, so we don't have a PO and have to piggy back on the "big city's".
    UGH.

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bunny, I can't believe they dug them right out of your garden!!!!!!!

And yes, police are not very sympathetic for plants! Like I told Sue, if it were a cow! Now thats a diff storie.....

Well 2 days of searching and no box! I didn't think I would find it, but on the chance that the thief opened the box on the way home and pitched it out the window I just had to try! Sigh.......

15 years ago

hmmm...maybe in years to come you will see some ditch lilies and they will look like the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:25273}}

Sponsored