Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New seedlings - when can I ship? Need help.

Posted by shendeavorelae zone 7 GA (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 13:49

Hi,

I've never swapped/mailed seedlings before, and I'd like to start. I have literally hundreds of Elephant Head Amaranth seedlings that resulted from past years of reseeding in the garden and I'd like to send these to people for trade.

So, at what point should I know to ship these? At a certain height/age/set of leaves? Also, although I've read the FAQ about shipping plants, do I just need to remove soil from the roots, wrap in a wet paper towel and make sure the box doesnt get hot before I ship it? I'm so afraid they'd die in the mail. :\

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New seedlings - when can I ship? Need help.

First, it's a good idea to make sure your traders know that you are trading seedlings and just what size they are. If someone is trading a mature plant, they hope to receive mature plants in return, usually. It's rather disappointing to receive a handful of two-inch seedlings in return for a well rooted hydrangea bush.

If it's ok with the trader to receive the seedlings, you can usually ship them safely when they're 3 or 4 inches tall with a few leaves. I'd leave a little bit of dirt on around the roots to help reduce the stress of the transplant. Wrap the dirt/rootball in a moist paper towel and then enclose the rootball in a little sandwich baggy. You can tie it right at the top of the rootball with a twist tie so that the rootball doesn't dry out during shipping. Do NOT insert the entire plant in the baggy. Anywhere the plant touches the plastic, it will rot in transit.

Toilet paper rolls are great protection for little seedlings. You can nestle them inside, after you've wrapped the roots as mentioned.

Use newspapers or packing peanuts to cushion the plants. I always try to find a box that the plants will fit snugly in with little packing. It helps keep them from jostling around a lot during transit.

And always ship your plants by Priority Mail. Delivery Confirmation (DC) also helps ensure the package reaches its destination. The post office is more conscientious if they know the box is being tracked. And chances are, if you use DC, your box will not get lost.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here