Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh so much to learn!

Posted by plant-one-on-me MI 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 15:28

I recently posted my first offer of plants for postage. I thought I was pretty specific in stating that any postage not received by me would be returned after May 7th. I received postage in the mail today and feel terrible that I cannot send the plants since they are now all gone...besides it was postmarked on the 9th. How do I return postage? Am I expected to use my own stamp, which is what I did this one time?

Also, I got a little overwhelmed with some people sending stamps, others cash and 1 a money order. None sent the exact amount. I had just placed everything in a pile until after I sorted the plants and put on the postage. One person said not to worry about the extra but no mention from the others...what should I have done? I had sealed up the flat rate envelopes and boxes and had them at the post office before I realized there were a few extra stamps and a little over a dollar in change. I am using the to give things away to someone who lost all her seeds but am not sure what I should have done.

When you trade for postage, do you ask for the exact amount or do you forget about the change or do you put it back in the box.

Thanks in advance, I want to get this right. Kim

Who would have thunk it could be so hard LOL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh so much to learn!

Hi Kim,

What I do, when I make a post, or reply to one, is do a printout of the member page (not trade page). I also give each transaction a log # and put that # in the email subject line, along with the member name. and real name.

Then I make a paper log of the members name, and transaction number.

On the member page printout, I note when the postage is received, and the amount. I usually ask for the exact amount to be sent to me. Some folks include a little extra, as a token of thanks. Some include a little extra in case it is needed. Since I have a digital scale (ebay-cheap-great!) I know what the exact postage is b4 I put the postage on it, and I sometimes drop it in the box/envelope, if I remember it.

Hey...doing a lot of transactions is hard, or at least it is for me...be it seed trades. or sasbe, or plant trade or plants for postage. I get stressed that I will miss someone or something.

From what you describe here, I think you did fine. I just read your post and see that only 6 of the 10 replies mailed to you...hmmmm....I hope you will include me when you maybe have more to trade later...hint, hint...though I did not post to it.

Now just quit worrying, and feel good for all those you sent wonderful berries to.

If I do not receive the postage before May 7, it will be returned to you....per your post....
I would just use one of the extra stamps and return it. If/when you post again, they can then reply, and hopefully mail it as required.

Sue

o

Kim,
I just read your post also, and you seemed to have explained things very clear on when and how much to send.

If someone sends you stamps and it is over the postage amount I would hope they would not expect you to make change for a stamp! And if they sent you lets say $5 or $6, and asked for a $4.60 flat rate envelope with no instructions on what to do with the change I would assume they were sending you a "tip".

I could be wrong, but that is how I look at it. It is a lot of work to dig and ship plants.

Like Sue said, stop worrying, this is supposed to be fun, although I do know what it is like to get overwhelmed when you have a lot to send all at once!

PS. I too would like to be included if you do this again! :) I just moved from MI and used to have 1000's of wild black rasp. I didn't have time or room to take any with me and I know I will miss them this summer!

Vic

o

I recently did my first plants for postage. Instead of caculating postage, I gave everyone the option of either a less than 1 lb box or a larger flat rate box. I don't have enough time to calculate postage by weight. I took paypal too which made it easier for me to track monies since almost everyone sent me money through paypal. I have to agree with Vic about the extra. If you consider the cost of tape, etc. It can help defray those costs. If someone expects you to send back the extra 15 cents, it seems kind of silly when you're giving this person free plants.

P.S. - Vic your package got mailed yesterday. A day later than I hoped but I was sick as a dog and could only handle a little bit of work a day.

o

I recently did my first plants for postage. Instead of caculating postage, I gave everyone the option of either a less than 1 lb box or a larger flat rate box. I don't have enough time to calculate postage by weight. I took paypal too which made it easier for me to track monies since almost everyone sent me money through paypal. I have to agree with Vic about the extra. If you consider the cost of tape, etc. It can help defray those costs. If someone expects you to send back the extra 15 cents, it seems kind of silly when you're giving this person free plants.

P.S. - Vic your package got mailed yesterday. A day later than I hoped but I was sick as a dog and could only handle a little bit of work a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here