Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long do these bulbs take ?

Posted by debraq z7LI*NY (debra630@optonline.net) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 23:31

I bought calla lilys, sweet autumn clematis, tuberose and caladiumn bulbs from the Home Depot and planted them in washed containers with potting mix that is also good for seed starting about three weeks ago. I placed bird netting over the tops to keep out the squirrels and have kept them moist but not over-watered. I see no growth at all. They are in all day sun, in the driveway, facing the west. Do you think they'll ever grow or should I take them back to HD? All in all it was about $25 that I could def. use for other things. I hate to think that they maybe rotted. What should I do? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Debra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long do these bulbs take ?

Home Depot has return policy on sold potted plants - 1 year, with store refund issued for the paid amount. If you bought bulbs and planted them - there is no refund. You only could return bulbs in unopened package. Just wait a little bit longer, may be they just need more time.

o

The bulbs usually don't emerge until it begins to warm up and stay warmer for a little while. I'm in Zone 7a and my Callas and tuberoses have only been peeping out for a couple of weeks. Clematis are different to me than any other plant. I've planted about 7 or 8 and finally got 3 to grow. One I planted last year is just about a foot long and my other two have been blooming for weeks already. It takes them sometimes 2 or more years to really get to going. If it doesn't come up at all that will be different. For more information on bulbs there is a Bulb Forum on GW which would be really helpful to you.

Nancy

o

Oh, Thank you both so much for all the info. I will definitely go and check it out. And I'll be a bit more patient. I didn't know HD doesn't give refunds for bulbs. Rats, but only if they don't come up. I'll keep hoping!
Deb :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here