Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I doing wrong?

Posted by sweetkitten51 5a/b iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 8:09

Everytime I get a butterfly bush,it dies when I want to plant it outside.
This last one,I kept all winter in a terra cotta pot.
The pot split,so I repotted it in a bigger pot,now it has wilted down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I doing wrong?

Hi sweetkitten51,

I suspect that it just got stressed when you repotted it and the roots got disturbed. Did you set it in a protected (shady ) spot to let it recover some after repotting? If not, protect it for a while, and it should recover yet for you, and then you can introduce it back into a sunny spot.

Sue

o
RE: What am I doing wrong?

Even seedling butterfly bushes wilt if the roots are disturbed. I usually get as much dirt around the roots to go with the plant as they shock so easily. If I can't get the dirt, I put it in a large container and cover the roots with water for a day and it bounces back. The plant is kept in shade during this process. Then I plant it where it needs to go and continue to keep the soil wet, not soggy and gradually give it more light.
Here in Alabama, the birds pick my seeds and plant for me. I find them coming up all over the place. If the plant does not perk up, you may want to prune it back slightly.
Good luck
Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here