Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
invasive plants. darn these nursery should put a warning sign...

Posted by meadowgarden zone 7 (meadowmarino@optonline.net) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 9:52

I HAVE SOO MANY MUM PLANTS COMING UP!!!!! DOES ANYONE WANT ANY?
I SHOULD PLANT THEM IN A BED ALL BY THEMSELVES.. AND SELL THEM LOCALLY. ANY OTHER INVASIVE PLANT I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT!

MEADOW

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: invasive plants. darn these nursery should put a warning sign

Meadow, I have had the same experience with mums. I have (only) thought about planting them, and then surrounding them with some sort of a border, (brick, cut landscape timbers, or even just some boards on their sides) to corral them, and then just pull out any that escape.

One invasive that comes to mind is Oenothera speciosa-showy primrose (pink). I planted one little plant years ago in a bed with some shrubs. It has since spread to cover about 12 square feet. It choked out a fairly good sized established Blue Star Juniper. I have pulled it, and even used Round Up on it some. It just keeps coming back. It is a nice little plant, if given it absolutely 'own' space, as there is no way to corral it. It would be pretty in a bed all by itself, or on a slope that just needed something.

I'm sure I can think of others...besides the introduced (long ago) things that have taken over here.

Trumpet Vine, though a native, and nice in the right place (all by itself) on a structure, can sure be invasive also.

Sue

o

Hi Meadow!

I should be so lucky. Up here in Ohio, it's a hit or a miss (more misses than hits) as to whether or not the mums will come back at all the next year. At least, that's what the people tell me from the local nurseries (and my own experience). I have one that is persistent and spreading, but that's 1 out of probably 30 I've planted for Fall foliage in the past 7 years. Doesn't matter when I plant them, how much I mulch, or how well I treat them for winter...nobody comes back...except that one.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 10:25

Lol! Mums are hard to keep alive up here. Still there should be a warning that the plant may be invasive.
Remy

o

Invasives that I have had the un-pleasure of experiencing...

Primrose yellow
Gooseneck loostrife (very invasive)
Obedient plant that's not so obedient!!
Jerusalem artichoke- got this one in a trade and should have done my homework!
Campanula
Agastache- got this last year and it already is all over, but I like this one at least!!
Monarda- but wouldn't be without it for the hummers.

I treat my mums as annuals but I don't think they would be invasive here either...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here