Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
val1_gw

Are There Any Rockhounds Among Us Gardeners?

val1
14 years ago

I enjoy rockhounding in addition to gardening and wondered if anyone else enjoys it too.

Val

Comments (3)

• seamommy
    14 years ago

I love rocks. We have mostly big chunks of caliche limestone in our soil. I dig them up and use them to outline flower beds, make stepping stones inside big flower beds, and to anchor large plants in my pond. I never see volcanic rocks like my mom has found in her area. She only lives about 25 miles from here and she has some very interesting rocks in her garden. Some of them have holes in them and some have flowing layers of stone. Cheryl

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Val,

You might want to also post over at The Seed Exchange on the Conversation side, as there is a lot more traffic member who post there.

Anywho...I am rock 'person' anyway though not really much of a hound. Yesterday at a friend's we got me some rocks from her creek. I was wanting a few flatter ones to use for a little stepping stone path through a bed, and was amazed at all of the wonderful varieties and shapes there were. It was hard to find a quitting point as far as picking ones I wanted, knowing I could only haul so many safely in the Jeep....will get pic later.

I expressed my concern about the legality of removing rocks from one's own creekbed, and was told they had had not one but 2 100 year floods in the past few years (not sure how many) and that with each flood, the rocks would be flowing down the creek.
    I just checked on line (Google) about the legality of removing rocks from one's creek and could not find anything. I am sure one should never take so many as to alter the path of a creek, but would sure like to know what the law concerning this reads. Maybe I will check later with the local Hardy Lake Reservoir Manager...I imagine he can give me the scoop on things.

Oh...it was so much fun yesterday wading in the creek on a warm but slightly rainy day.

I also got a Korean Dogwood tree I found growing under a massive one that was in full bloom right now. I read where it blooms for about 6 weeks in June and July.

Sue

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I love looking for rocks though more for their beauty after being cut and polished then using them in the garden. I love thundereggs, geodes, agates, quartz, etc. I also like beach glass. I collect river rocks to use in and around my ponds as well as big rough rocks in the garden.