Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shasta daisy

Posted by joanfordyce 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 19:57

WHY DIDN'T THE SHASTA DAISY PLANT THAT GREW SO NICE FOR 2 YEARS,COME BACK UP THE FOLLOWING YEAR???? THANK YOU JOAN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shasta daisy

k dutch iris, hollyhocks,n shastas im wondering if you have a critter eating away at your bulbs roots or seeds?
maybe dig in your soil a bit n see if you have alot of grubs or other bad bugs, keep an eye out for squirrels, chimpmunks, moles,mice

o
RE: shasta daisy

My various plants do that sometimes. I had several long-time plants not come up last year. I thought they were dead, but then this year, there they are! As big and beautiful as ever.

I see you're in PA, so you probably experience the same weather I do (somewhat) here in Ohio. The winter when a bunch of my plants didn't come back was when it got down to almost -30 degrees. I think that hit them pretty hard and they took a whole year to recover. So, I think it depends sometimes on the winter climates' affects on the roots. Plus, it's been unusually cool here, and a lot of plants are growing and blooming late because the heat they need just isn't there.

Another thing you might try is when you cut the plants down for winter, let them dry out and then leave a good 12 inches of stem and leaves on there. Don't cut them all the way down to the ground. An old gardener taught me that trick, and it works! It helps insulate the core of the plants from the snow and cold like extra insulation, plus it gives the beneficial insects a place to hide all winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here