Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Question about trading daylilies

Posted by tastefullyjulie zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 22:40

I have seen many posts lately about trading daylilies. I have a bunch I want to trade but I was waiting until after they have finished flowering. I have always divided mine either before or after flowering but not during. Am I wrong or confused?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Question about trading daylilies

warmer zones will have earlier bloom times especially on non-rebloomers. but i have traded daylilies when they were blooming. one of my tradees got to see the bloom. i don't know what daylily afficionadas think of this however. also, marryott's sent me daylilies with bloom points present and i got to see the bloom. i think a lot of daylily people hybridize so they need their blooms. and a lot of people just want to enjoy them before trading. barb

o

Thanks for the info. My daylily foliage always seems to turn an awful yellow color if I divide them midseason and it persists through though the fall. I guess I wouldn't want to send anyone a division like that.

o

When you ship daylilies , you cut the foliage back about half way. No one would ever know they were once yellow.:) Sherri

o

I guess I meant that they turn yellow after I move them. I never cut the foliage though. Maybe if I cut it, it would grow in green. Thanks for all the help and for bearing with me, lol.

o

Just about anytime you transplant a daylily, the leaves will yellow. Most daylily growers are aware of this. Cutting back the foliage helps the plant adjust, so it's not trying to feed all that foliage while it roots in.

I often dig and divide when they're in bloom so I can be sure of what I'm digging. Sometimes, things get mislabel (thanks to my furry companion who kicks markers away), so dividing when they're in bloom insures that my trader gets exactly what I say she's getting.

Some folks say you shouldn't dig and divide in mid summer either. They swear the daylilies will die. But I've been doing it for years with no problem. Daylilies are so darned tough.

NancyAnn

o

Thanks NancyAnn! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here