Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: ot - i have a question regarding import laws

Posted by omedusa TX (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 12:07

Where can I find out what the laws are regarding importing (private trade, not commercial) plants state to state, especially because I am in Texas.

Someone pointed out that you need an inspection certificate for every plant that comes in to your state and if you don't, and get caught, it's a felony? Can someone please clearify before I get too much involved? Or give me a link?

I could not find anything on this site on where to post this more appropiately.

Many Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: ot - i have a question regarding import laws

Texas State Dept of Agriculture in Austin. Also check with your Texas A&M Cooperative Extension Service office which is usually in your local county courthouse or county or state offices blue pages of the phone book. You probably have other agriculture schools in Texas as well. I'm not aware that ALL imports have to be inspected but I do know many which are shipped into the citrus areas along the Gulf and Rio Grande areas must be inspected. They are trying to prevent disease which might ruin ag industries such as citrus.

o
RE: wanted: ot - i have a question regarding import laws

Try this link. It is a good start. This topic can be quite complicated. The Federal Government as well as all 50 states have their own regulations and specific quarantines regarding plant material.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here