Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help from those with experience!

Posted by lauren_stl z5/6 Mo (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 22:45

Hi,

I've been watching this forum for the last few months -I'm normally over in perennials. I have 3 good sized hydrangea shrubs that I need to move - they're too borderline here in my zone - probably should be more of a sure "6". Anyways, I've never traded plants through the mail and as I've watched this forum, the hydrangeas being traded are cuttings. Well these are probably 2 feet tall and just as wide. Can I trade them? Or are they too big? And how do you mail them? I'm just stumped. I want to participate, but I don't know how... Sorry for what are probably obvious questions - I read the FAQs, but are still a little unsure. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help from those with experience!

I have a huge hydrangea bush, I wanted to put it in another spot so I just dug it up and moved it. If it was me, I would cut it back (it will be okay, I know 'cause when I first moved to this place my hubby kept mowing mine down 'cause he thought it was a giant weed) of course if it one of the types that blooms on old wood, you need to warn traders not to expect it to bloom for two seasons. Dig it up, wash all the dirt off the roots, wrap the roots in damp newspaper (I think paper towels would not do the job for those type of roots) then wrap plastic securely around the roots (make sure it is around roots and only a little bit up the stem, or it won't arrive in too good of shape) a plant is never too big to trade, but you might not like the shipping prices on something like that, I would put them in a flat rate box for 8.00, hydrangeas stems can be bent somewhat too, of course again you need to warn the trader of this. what kind of hydrangeas do you have and what do you want to trade for them?
micke

o

Or you can trade them to someone locally.....and depending on which hydrangeas they are maybe we need to talk. ;-)

o

Thanks micke and daisy. As far as what I want to trade them for, I'm not sure. I want some chartreuse colored hostas, but I'm not a collector of them, so I don't even know what names to ask for. I also love oak leaf hydrangeas - I've killed two that I've bought by watering them too much, but want to give it another shot. Anyways I'm not sure what I want to trade for so I guess I just post what I have and wait and see?? That seems to be what others do.

And Daisy, the types that I need to trade are Royal Purple and Alpenglow. If either one of you are close to St. Louis (obviously where I am based on my screen name), let me know and maybe it would be an easier trade.

Thanks again for your help.

o

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 7-8
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 14:25

hi ....

just my two cents --

Contact Master Gardeners near you
OR
Check out a local Farmer's Market or a small Nursery

You may find someone to take your bushes to plant where they can be in a protected area.

A non-windy protected place near a fence, up against the house works for almost-zone bushes, especially if they are surrounded by other bushes.

good luck.
pb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here