Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raggedyann161420

People helping themselves to cuttings from the yard........

raggedyann161420
18 years ago

I went out to hang some bedding on the line, when I spotted someone trimming the rasberry bushes that border our property and the baseball park.

When I asked what they were doing they said that since the rasberries were not blooming now they didn't think taking a few cuttings from it would hurt, or that I would mind. I will admitt the rasberries needed cut back,and if it were my neightbors or the city that were cutting them back because of the fact that they were over the property line, I wouldn't have said a word.

I told them they could have just came and knocked on the door. I would have been happy to let them dig some. ( I did offer this to them after catching them.) I told them they could take 8-10 nice size starts because they really needed to be thinned. I also told them they were welcome to some of the volunteer white and purple lilacs. But they might want to wait till it rains to get those because they would come up so much easier, and to please be sure someone was here when they did it.

Why do people do this on private property! I know I've been guilty of snatching seeds from the park and hospital, but I would never take any cuttings from anything.

LIFE IS GOOD,

Annie

Comments (62)

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only time it would be ok with me if it is the neighbor/city that is cleaning up the limbs that are hanging over the property line. I don't mind sharing, and yes, although it is just a plant, it is mine, and for them to take without asking is wrong!

They knew by the tone of my voice I was not a bit happy with them. I'm sure I got the message across. These two knew what they were doing, and lord knows they can afford to go out and buy plants.

I was told, "if you are not greedy you are not a real gardener." Well, this is so true with some people, so I guess that would put me in the rookie category.

Annie

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess it would depend on the attitude of the people that were taking the cuttings/plants. If I would call the police or not.

Annie

• yelena
    18 years ago

I would be yelling too! I am sorry, but I feel as I am a "poor fool" if I spent my money (from not really big budget, otherwise I would buy from catalogs and dont trade here), time and effort just to quietly watch when someone is actually stilling or damaging my property. If anybody asks me, I would be more than glad to share, if I can. But if someone is just taking my staff because they like it  I donÂt see a difference with burglarizing. People should respect others property and put effort in life to achieve results.

Actually, every value tree or plant on your property can be insured because it has monetary value.

People do not compost everything - they trade it. Very rare they send for postage, and not expensive plants or seedlings. I never saw post "I live at this address. Please come anytime and help yourself with everything you want. ItÂs free and open to anyone. I just enjoy digging a durt on fresh air".

• weebus
    18 years ago

Becasue they aren't taking the entire plant, they took a cutting. Big difference. Now two people care enjoy it. If they took the entire plant, that would be different, but they didn't. They were not on her property, they were standing on public property. They were not stealing an entire plant, so let's quit blowing this out of proportion. Ifyou guys wnat to take it to extremes, go for it. When you want to discuss this in a rational manner, let me know.

I also find it funny, that once again, it is Raggedy Anne and Lilac Lily sirring the pot. Hmmm...

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmmmm, I'm not the one that made any rude remarks to anyone weebus.

Annie

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

Weebus, I am not understanding your statement, Annie wanted to share something that happened to her with us, and you immeditately chimed in and put her down. Others came on, including me, saying we too would feel the same way Annie does, and you put us down too. Who, exactly, is stirring the pot?

• weebus
    18 years ago

I never put anyone down. If someone has a different opinion than you guys, why is it putting someone down? I was basically saying love thy neighbor and you guys want to beat them with a club. I never put anyone down, that's your interpretation. Why are you guys so defensive? And angry all the time?

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't recall being angry, but Weebus, you are entitled to your own opinion. I said, "why do people do this on private property." They were on my property at the time I caught them.

Annie

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

We're not angry all the time, and I don't think I was being defensive, I was just asking why WE have to be the wrong ones and the ones "stirring the pot" when there were other opinions echoing ours. No one called your beliefs trivial (like you did of someone else's), so perhaps that is where the hackles went up?

If you read my first post, I was trying to "break the ice" with you by mentioning a funny story, did I sound angry then? And when I didn't understand your thinking, I asked you to clarify it. I thought I stated my points in a clear and concise manner, that it was not the fact that they were taking silly little cuttings, but the fact that it was trespassing and taking something of yours without your permission that would cause me to get angry and yell.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but we're not trying to force ours on you, yet you seem to enjoy telling everyone how wrong they are for feeling a certain way. The only pot stirring I am seeing is your catty comments, which I still don't understand. "...that once again, it is Raggedy Anne and Lilac Lily, stirring the pot." So, are you the only one allowed to have a strong opinion? Or disagree with a topic? But if we do then we're "stirring the pot"?

You come across very condescending in many of your posts, Weebus, whether you intend to or not. Now, me myself, I happen to like that in a person and have always taken your posts with a grain of salt and enjoyed many things that you've had to say, because you are a very intelligent person and offer much advice... usually. But please don't call the kettle black. If you're allowed to post your opinion, then why can't we, without being called angry or defensive or pot stirrers? Can't we all just get along? Group hug? And yes, trivial as it may seem to you, I am not ashamed to admit that I would yell at the trespasser/thief. I wouldn't give a hoot WHAT my neighbors thought of me.

• Mikey
    18 years ago

There is a City parkway next to my home. For years I watered and mowed the grass in this parkway and a few years ago I decided to plant stuff that I wanted in this strip of land. When I planted stuff there I accepted the fact that people would likely tromp through the parkway when they parked there and someone may pick the flowers. Below is a photo of some Aeoniums I planted next to the fire hydrant.
    {{gwi:26770}}

This last spring the Aeoniums bloomed. These golden blooms lasted for a couple of months.
    {{gwi:26771}}

One day I noticed that one of the flowering stocks was missing. I was irritated that someone was so selfish as to take the flower and prevent others from enjoying it. A few days later I looked closer and realized that they hadnt just taken the flower. They ripped out the entire plant, leaving one behind. Now I was REALLY irritated. Thank God I didn't catch them.... If they had simply bothered to ask, I would have given them a cutting. In fact, a few weeks ago a stranger stopped and was admiring some other succulents planted in this same parkway. We talked for about 20 minutes and I learned he was fond of succulents and he was particularly fond of a Kalanchoe thyrsiflora that was planted in the parkway. I didnt even have to dig one up and divide it for him because I had several in the back yard potted up already. I gave him the plant and also told him about the GW and he has since become a member. Most gardeners that I have met are generous and like sharing their plants with other gardening enthusiasts. - Mike

• sweety13
    18 years ago

Hey Mikey,
    I would love a cutting of that Aeonium, wanna share? Please? Steph :)

• Mikey
    18 years ago

Sure Steph, but I hope you have a greenhouse as it will not survive outdoors in your zone.

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As always, nice job Mikey. Is the construction on your front lawn done? I really like what you did with the brick and picket fence. I don't remember seeing pictures of it if you did post them.

Annie

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Dear Seed/cutting snatcher,

As you know, last summer a family friend gave me two five gallon, nearly wild rose bushes. I treated those darn things like they were made of gold. I was out there every day checking for bugs and dead heading and pulling out the weeds that would pop up around my two lovely bushes. I'm sure you saw me out there; bent over pulling up weeds, cutting like a mad man any bloom that looked spent just enough to justify my dead heading it. You must have thought me crazy, but I really just had fallen in love with gardening and you know that when someone falls in love they do silly things.I sat out on the front steps many hours last summer and this spring admiring my handy work and how with a little attention something can grow into something beautiful. You probably think they're weeds but those two bushes mean the world to me. Did you laugh or snicker when you and your more experienced friends passed by and saw my 'roses'? I think you did.

That is why this spring I decided I would see if I could reach your good graces by adding some more plants to my garden that consisted of crab grass a juniper tree many weeds and my two roses.

I know you saw me coming home that early spring day, grining like a dork because I had bought some mulch and plants. As you know that day I got three white cone flower plants and two boxwood bushes and a few bags of mulch. I shot the gardening budget I had allowed myself on such a small purchase. I realize that I could have started from seed and had a couple of hundred plants for what I paid. But I'm new to gardening and didn't have much of a choice in where I could afford to shop and how much I had to spend.

I am sure you noticed that I decided to plant the three containers of white cone flowers along one side of the fence that was pretty bare. That was a big mistake. Before the plants could get established you had pulled and yanked on enough of the flowers that one plant got pulled clear out of it's hole and dried up and died.Id go out and look at my two remaining cone flowers and see that they were a little higher than the night before. So I would tuck them back into their spot and notice another flower head had been nipped.I don't understand why you would choose to take cuttings from me? I only had three humble cone flowers, white ones at that! Were you plucking the heads because you objected to my choice of color? I know purple or yellow would look nicer but they only had white ones at the local garden center, I'm sorry.

At some point I figured that maybe killing my plant and taking my flower heads was some sort of initiation ritual that I had to go through as a newbie gardener to gain acceptance in this gardening fraternity. When I noticed you strike again I would even stop and instead of crying I would yell; "Thank You Sir!, may I have another?!!?" I wanted desperately for you to stop this hellatious abuse of my plants. BTW the two remaining cone flower plants look horrible, a whole summer of never really getting established and they look fit to be trashed. I don't think they'll make it through the winter.

Your garden is filled with things I could only imagine learning about some day, which is why I don't understand why you to take from me. I really think it's personal. How else could I explain what you did to my Hen&Chicks? Oh don't furrow your brow at my like you don't know what I'm talking about. The little four inch pot I bought at HD the day I became addicted to collecting succulents. Yes, I know again my choice of plant leaves much to be desired, but when you wanted some of it did you have to tear it out of it's pot divide it in half and throw my half under my juniper tree?

Please,please I beg you to leave my humble plants alone, wait until I have something worth taking before come around and snatch some more, please? My plants and I can't afford you taking what little we have.

Sincerely,

MrBrownThumb

your gardening newbie neighbor

• weebus
    18 years ago

If you go over to the trading area of this forum, there will be other gardeners who love to share their plants. They will offer plants for just the price of postage. Sounds as tho' one package will double the amount of plants you have in your yard.

Then you can hop on over to the seed exchange and there are plenty of poeple who will offer seeds for next to nothing (60 cents) and you can winter sow (another forum) them (most of them) and you will have all kinds of beautiful plants to play with come next spring!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

.... and of course when you have more plants you won't mind so much when people come by stealing and vandalizing.
    But in the mean time why don't you just go to Home Depot and pull a couple extra chicks out of a hens and chicks pot. As long as you don't take the whole plant I'm sure they won't mind... you're just sharing.

* this message has been scanned for contact and found to contain sarcasm and potential pot stirring. Beware *

But on the non-sarcastic side- in my months of lurking here I can't recall any harsh or even slightly cross words from Annie, she always seems so friendly! I doubt I'd find any dirt -with the exception of soil based dirt (pun intended) on Lilaclily either..... where'd the love go? Please Annie, reassure me that life is still good!

That's my two cents.
    But here's another two:
    As far as plant stealing goes I'm guilty. I've done it. I was young and greedy and am trying to mend my ways but it's a long hard battle. I still have weak moments.
    As a guilty person I could never point a finger at someone else so I can't really get mad at any missing cuttings. But it does anger me when people pull out the daffodil blooms just to throw them down a few feet later.... at least bring them home to a vase! -and please, please, leave the foliage so that I have blooms for next year.

Kato now returning to lurking.

• yelena
    18 years ago

I participate in the GW discussions not very often (as I did before) but I read them from time to time and try to share my garden experience on other forums. A few years ago people were asking many questions about how to deal with certain situations around garden and gardening. Not anymore. I was wondering why. Now I have an answer. I was stunned when I read remark after my response. This forum is not a personal chat or place to fight, its a free-speech GARDENING forum. We are all entitled to our opinions - right, wrong or in the middle, from newbies or oldies, there is nothing personal, just opinions. People share their experience in life and learn from others.

This post was not only about the private property. It is about respect, decency, values and appreciation. And how it came later, its about acknowledging different opinions.

I really liked an advise from Kato about taking cuttings at Home Depot. I also would suggest trying to take cuttings from botanical garden, show room or expo. They have really good selection comparing to our backyards. But I wont guarantee that "yelling" would be the only disturbance.

Yelena

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

MrBrownThumb, I'm so glad I no longer live in the city. I can't tell you how many things I lost to rude people just walking by and pulling them up... like Kato_B said just to toss them on the ground a few feet later. One thing that used to drive me INSANE was looking out my window and seeing people with their dogs just stand there watching while their dog did "their business" on one or more of my plants. Could they NOT see that my $20 rosebush did NOT resemble a fire hydrant in any way, shape or form? It wasn't even red! And people ask me why I don't miss the city! If you're ever out the Lombard way, let me know, because I am sure I could send you home with lots of plants!

Kato_B, well, if you look hard enough there's bound to be SOME dirt on me somewhere, at parties I'm always the one with the lampshade on my head! My poor DH sure has his hands full with me! Like the saying goes, "good girls go to heaven but bad girls go everywhere." Don't go back to lurking, we need more posters like you!

And YES, Annie is the sweetest, most genuine person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and hands down THE most generous trader I've encountered here on GW, and that's saying alot because MOST of my traders are generous!

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

I forgot to add that when Annie told me about the people taking cuttings, I was totally cracking up, because I could just picture her standing there with her hand on her hip, saying "CAN I HELP YOU????" Of course the act itself was not funny.... Kato_B ya know what they say, admitting you have a problem is half the battle! LOL! I welcome you to the posts with open arms but remind me to never give you my address! :)

• jeanne
    18 years ago

Annie, it looks as though you have 2 problems. For the first, I'd say communication is the key. Perhaps a small sign that could only be read from up close? "Before you cut, please ask." It was awfully nice of you to share after that. Takes a big heart, and you've got one of the biggest.

For your second problem, I'd suggest the complete opposite. Good luck!

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

lilaclily,

LOL I know what you mean. Thanks for the offer but I am so much of a city mouse that I don't drive let alone leave the city very often. But if I did I'd take you up on your offer. :0)

I hope no one took offense to my post I was just trying to put my experience in a somewhat funny way. I did often wonder what someone wanted with my poor little plants. Although I think next spring I will plant some Amaranthus to completely cover the front gate and keep any plants far from hand's reach.

I can only wonder what you people feel like that have 'nice' plants that get damaged or snipped.

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

MBT -

The biggest damage to my plants comes from my dogs. They like to run back and forth along the fence "chasing" the dogs on the other side. They trample like elephants, like steamrollers, like Godzillas. They've wiped out 8 ft tall buddleias in a single afternoon. And they're not huge St. Bernards either, they're around 35 lbs each.

I have most of my "good plants" in the fenced in back yard. My front yard has easily-replaced perennials. 28 years of living in the city taught me to keep my good plants "off the street".

• Mikey
    18 years ago

Hi Annie. The brick work out front is nearly complete. Thanks for asking. It's dark outside now and we're going to an air show tomorrow down in San Diego but I'll try to post a couple photos on Monday. - Mike

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

hehehehe. -bad girls go everywhere
    For some reason I picture all female garden webbers to be quiet, tea sipping ladies who wear straw hats and sun dresses while carefully potting up african violets.....LOL -I've got a much better picture now!
    (no offense to tea drinkers or violet growers)

LLily thanks for the welcome. I'll try to be less of a lurker in the future, but I can't promise anything!...except that I won't go near your plants with my sticky fingers.
    I think my reason for lurking is I like the Jerry Springer showdowns that come up every now and then, the whole he sent -she sent thing.... I keep away from actual trading since I don't think I'd be a good partner- way too lazy and cheap.

I was looking forward to Mike's pictures too!

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MrBrownthumb,

Although I'm just about done sending plans this season. If you send me your address I would be more than happy to send you a package of seeds that you can wintersow; lord knows I do have plenty.

Every year I give away plants for postage, and would be happy to send you a box of goodies. But instead of sending me the postage, I ask that you send to your local Lymphoma/Leukemia society. Our only child, well not a child, he's 26, a leukemia survivor since 2002, and my sister, a lymphoma survivor was diagnosed almost two years to the day of each other so I do alot of volunteer work for this society.

If you have shade I can share hosta, astilbe, ginger, columbines, and on the sunny side I have some some oregano, sage, purple conflower, black hollyhocks, salvia,shasta daisy, sedum,candylily,siberian iris,some black seeded grass,other grasses, spiderwort, both hot pink,and purple. Obedient plants, white, and pink. and lord know's what else I can come up with. I have my Iowa Iris, these were named at one time, but over the years I've lost the names.(to be honest, 30+ years ago I didn't want my yard looking like a plant cemetery in the winter, so I threw all the name tags away.

LOL, Oh yea, how many rasberry plants would you like, and fair warning, these do have thorns.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kato,

I do drink tea, but noooo sundresses for me when I'm digging in the dirt. LOL

Mikey and everyone

Keep those picture coming I love to see them!

LIFE IS GOOD, its the 12 hour shifts that kill me sometimes, but I must admit I love my job.

Annie

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mr.BrownThumb,

I ment to say I would be more than happy to send you plants in the spring. Now I know it is time for bed!

Annie

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

lilaclily,

That's pretty funny. Pets seem to be a big problem for people around here. I have a crazy cat neighbor a couple of blocks down. He must have about a hundred cats, and the ladies that keep small garden here are not big fans of his.

A new family moved in next door and one of the ladies on the block gave the wife a couple of small plants this spring. I'm not sure what they're called but the flowers look like the red floppy skin on a rooster.

I woke up this morning to the sounds of some choice profanity, and I looked out my bedroom window but couldn't see what the fuss was about so I went to bed. A little while ago I went outside to check on my rosemary topiary (I keep having dreams someone makes off with it, well more like a nightmare :/ )and found out the cursing this morning was because one of the older ladies down the block was yelling at a sneed snatcher from her front window. They made off with the seeds from my new neighbors plants and broke the heads while they were at it. I gave her some of my coreopsis and white cone flowers to make up for having her's snatched.

Annie,

Thanks for the offer I appreciate it. Although my planting space is pretty limited to things that can take pretty much full sun all summer. Your offer to send in exchange for a donation to the Lukemia Society is a great idea. I'll have to remember it when I can start adopting. I got interested this summer and gardening and joined here because of the accessible gardening forum. My mom is battling Diabetes and can't get around easily because of complications. I was hoping to get her inspired to garden (at least containers or topiaries and maybe bonsai) but she doesn't seem to be very motivated. Well at least she can sit and enjoy what I'm trying to do from her bedroom window or the front porch.

Now would it make me a horrible hypocrite if tonight when I threw out the garbage I made off with some black eyed susan seeds hanging out the back fence of a neighbor? If I collect them I will just have to picture her as the one who tore apart my Hens&Chicks pot to over come the 'guilt'. LOL

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

MBT,

I do work downtown so I can bring some things with me on the Metra, if that'll make it easier. But you're gonna have to meet me! I work around Wells/Kinzie and both the Purple and Brown lines stop right there at the Mart. Just let me know.

I have some daylilies that need a new home right now that I dug up this weekend to make room for other things. Heck, I could bring them with me tomorrow if you wanted them. About a dozen I'd say. I have a clump of pink obedient plant that needs to go soon too, as well as some creeping sedum and a big daisy plant too. Let me know.

Between Annie and I, I think you'll be set as far as perennials go.

• Mikey
    18 years ago

Annie: Here's an update. Below is the entrance. The arbor will have a Mlle, Cecile Brunner climbing over it once I get it planted. My son built a temporary entry gate but it's not installed yet. He wants to make a steel gate with a pond lilly design. The temporary gate is made of wood and also has the lilly design and it looks pretty cool. The white trim to the "A" frame is primer on newly replaced wood. Painting the house is next...... The front yard is going to be a country garden to the right of the walkway and I will have tropicals and desert plants on the left side. However, first I have to remove about 6" of soil from the front.....oh my aching back.....
    {{gwi:26773}}

The ramp walkway was finished yesterday. In the background is the entrance to the patio.
    {{gwi:26774}}

Below is a small patio area. Once the weather cools I'll remove the hammock and put it back in the backyard where it belongs. I looked at patio furniture but because it was the end of the season we didn't see anything we liked other than the bench. Come spring we'll go patio furniture looking again.
    {{gwi:26775}}

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

OMG Mikey, those pics are GORGEOUS! What a GREAT JOB you've done! Kudos to you! Now when can you come to Chicago and help me??

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Great pics, Mikey.

BTW, anyone who wants to snip plants is welcome to come on over. I could really use the help.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Woah Mikey

That's awesome. You did all that yourself? I came across a pile of bricks someone dumped in an empty lot and want to pick them up and bring them home to do a pathway but the task seems so daunting. I can't imagine doing something the size you did. Very impressive.

lilaclily;

Thanks for the offer. As much as the budding plantaholic in me wants to take you up on your offer, I have to admit I've been offered adoption. So I shouldn't be a greedy newbie and accept-but check your mail. Very kind of you and Annie to offer extras from your yard.

• Mikey
    18 years ago

I take credit whenever my mason isn't on the job working... :)

I did the picket fencing and drew the plans for what I wanted done but Jerry, my mason, did the real work. My job was to keep out of his way and buy him a bacon breakfast burrito every morning...

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Wow, Are you leaving any grass out front or is it all going to other plants?
    That really is the perfect place for the banana. It will look awesome surrounded by the bricks and next to the door.... even if it does get a little big for the spot.

Tally-HO!

• Mikey
    18 years ago

The grass will be but a memory.......

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mikey,

Wow, what a difference, and all I can say is BEAUTIFUL!

I must encourage everyone to visit his garden tour;the link is on his home page, and Mikey, your yard must be huge.

Annie....Keep those pictures coming.

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Mikey, I love your pages, just wonderful! I can't wait for my own Neomarica caerulea to bloom. I do think you'd want to know, though, that the Crinum americanum is actually something else, possibly a hymenocallus(I think the new name these days is pancratium? The old name is Ismene). Here's C. americanum, with a link to the proper Hortiplex page:

• Mikey
    18 years ago

Thanks Nigella. I think someone on "Name that Plant" identified it as Hymenocallis rotata. However, I forgot to get around to correcting the photo....

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nigella and Mikey, I'm waiting to see more of your fabulous bloomers.

Annie

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Alright, I think I have found something worse than a seed/cutting snatcher. I went out to collect a few seeds for a trade and I noticed that someone vomited on the Amaranthus growing along the front gate. I also found something else... but I think I shouldn't gross anyone out.

I think I liked it better when all I noticed were missing flower heads.

Ewww.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

I never suspected that urban gardening would be so bad! Yuck.

I pity the nighbors of bars and nightclubs.

• Mikey
    18 years ago

Quote from Annie - "Nigella and Mikey, I'm waiting to see more of your fabulous bloomers." - Annie: The fetching Mrs. Mikey won't let me wear bloomers anymore. She said the neighbors talked too much..... ;)

Mr. BT: That would be a pretty disgusting find... Yuck

• angelcub
    18 years ago

Not to be a pot stirrer, but I just had to say it is good to read some voices of reason on this subject. We just had a similar post on cutting snatching on Halloween come up on our equally friendly Cottage forum. I'm with the folks who think it's wrong and theft, and I stated so. It caused a stir, which brought out the defensiveness of the "snatcher," along with a myriad of excuses and justifications for doing so. Interestingly, I found those who were defending the practice were also the ones prone to exaggerated retorts. Thank you all for speaking out against this practice.

And Mikey, your place looks magnificent! I don't get over to the CA. forum anymore, so I didn't know how things were progressing. My DH looked at your pics and said, "Wow!" Now his wheels are turning - he has big plans for cobblestone paths out back. : )

Diana

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Ok, whatever. I'm still waiting for somebody to stop by my house with a pair of snips, lol. I'd pretty much let anybody go to town on anything large enough to block the path. Here are some things that need thinning:

Lonicera sempervires 'Sulphurea'

Jasminum multiflora

Thunbergias alata and grandiflora

Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Yellow Star' and 'Variegata'

T. asiaticum and T.a. 'Variegata'

Passiflora caerulea, incarnata and 'Lavender Lady'

Bignoia capreolata 'Miss Jeckyll'(maybe a mislabeled 'Mosaic', though)

Salvia uliginosa

Malvaviscus arboreus

Hibiscus syriacus, pink

Odontonema strictum

Piper auritum

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Capatiola', 'Cooperii', 'Red Hot', and some unnamed, colors and white.

Hibiscus acetocella

Meyer's Lemon

Buddleja alternifolia

Ruellia brittonia, pink and blue. You can pull as many of these out as you can carry.

Crocosmia crocomifolia, ditto.

Brugmansia suavolens, bring the BIG loppers, lol.

Quisqualis indica.................

Oh, yeah. A friend had me cut back her massive plumerias yesterday and gave me most of the cuttings. I've been handing them out like candy.

Really, come get 'em, lol.... I made some offers for postage. One person sent their's, no word from one, one didn't understand how to use PayPal. Sigh. I guess I'll have two boxes of cuttings to stick unless I just toss them.

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

Wow, you are truly a nice person. My first impluse would have been to call the police; my second impluse would have been to tell them they could take what they cut but that they better learn to ask first next time and that they would have to bring me back something!

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nigella, That would have been a great offer, but cuttings and me just do not do well.

Wanna_run_faster, Like Weebus stated, They Are Just Plants I do like sharing, but wish they would ask first when coming on the property. Lord knows, I had more than enough to share.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    {{gwi:26777}}

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Annie, why don't cuttings do well for you? I would be more than happy to help you figure out how to do it. It's the easiest, fastest way to a lot of new plants for me. I'm no good with seeds, just do NOT have the patience to work with something that tiny(well, the jewelry and hummingbirds I make are all made of little tiny components but I don't have to wait for them to grow, lol).

I ended up foisting somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 gallon size bags of cuttings on my friend Thomas. His yard is way beyond overflowing as well but he laughed and said he couldn't stand seeing all that precious material go to waste. I wonder where he's going to squeeze all that stuff in at?

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

Margaret,

Do any of those cuttings survive in zone 5? I would be interested in the ones that do (if any) but if they need to be brought indoors, I already have a monster brug and 2 huge ficus trees that hog all the room. I have western exposure and the light indoors is not the best. Of course, if they can go dormant and light is not a big requirement, I would be curious to tackle a rooting project, since I frequently enjoy a good challenge.

DH says I'm supposed to be a leader and not a follower, but I couldn't resist getting my own signature since they're becoming popular here, lol.
    {{gwi:26778}}

• raggedyann161420
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nigella,
    I should have re-phrased that. I can root some stuff,like simple house plants(which now, due to lack of window space because my herd takes up every window there is)and if the plant isn't known to be persnickity to root then I can do it. I think where the problem lies for me is maybe not using the right soil to root them in? I use Miracle Grow potting soil, but maybe that still might be too heavy for some things. Any tips would be greatly appreciated though.

Elizabeth,
    I like your signature, and I can't take the credit for mine.
    Canna did mine for me, and again she had to show and tell me how to post it. LOL. But you would be surprised,and I might add, I did figure out all my by myself how to post a picture from the pictures you took. But now,all I need to do is figure out how to use the camera, post to photo bucket, so I can post. LOL
    EXAMPLE SEE MY GOLDIE
    {{gwi:26779}}

LIFE IS GOOD,
    {{gwi:26777}}

P.S. Going to lay back down for a couple more hours. I have a 12 hour shift tonight and tomorrow night, then I'm off for my long stretch.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus