Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening in semi to full shade

Posted by karimi 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 12:42

I have a lot of trees which i am not allowed to eliminate, I love them, but I need some color in the yard. This yr I tried impatiens around the trees with compost. They are struggling. Anyone sucessful? I need help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening in semi to full shade

Impatients take a lot of water I think.

How about hosta, hydrangeas, astillbe for some perennial color...along with some spring flowering bulbs. My daffs are planted in shade, and bloom b4 the leaves come on, and do just fine.

have you checked out the Garden In Shade Forum? It doesn't look very active right now, but you might read through the posts and get some more ideas.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening In Shade Forum

o

What kinds of trees are they? If they are black walnut you need to be careful what you plant around them. believe it or not I have planted iris around some of my trees and they do just fine without being in full sun.

o

Also.......toad lilies, ferns, carex, heuchera/tiarella/heucherella, brunnera, and bergenia.....

o

Primrose, azaleas and rhododendrons, you could also try some of the blue grasses. I have some Elijah's blue fescue beneath some pines. I also have a rose bush that has been planted beneath a bunch of pines and a cedar (just to the front of them) for 10 years that outdoes itself each year. My irises didn't ever bloom under my pines so I've had to move them all but some small rhizomes still pop up each year. When I lived in Mississippi I had loads of white irises beneath a chinaberry tree so it may just depend on the tree and I also have some purple ones under an oak now that is extremely dry that bloom. You might also want to try some succulents, sedums, hens and chicks of different colors too. Good luck with whatever you plant.

Nancy

o

Thanks everybody for your help, I have oak trees and they have very active roots.

o

Hello!
I live in the woods too and I'm not allowed to cut any trees, but I finally talked hubby into limbing up some of them. I've had good luck growing irises, crinum lilies and amaryllises. The amaryllises bloomed like crazy and they were red. I just hope they make it through the winter since I didn't dig them up.

Also I had plumbago, crape myrtle, althea and hydrangea in big pots under the trees. The plumbago bloomed really well. I use big pots because I have clay and rocks to deal with. Going to have to build some raised beds. But I'm afraid to add too much soil around the bottom of the trees. I've heard it will kill the trees.

Good luck,
Susie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here