Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

Big step for me.......

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
18 years ago

I didn't think I was responsible enough to ever pull it off, but believe it or not I successfully conducted a trade.....

I constantly struggle with thoughts of sloth and laziness and am a confirmed procrastinator... but... apparently even the worst among us can be reformed. OK, so maybe it was just a trade for postage (I sent the postage part) but for me it was a big step.

I hope I didn't start anything dangerous here. All of a sudden my head is swelling up a few sizes and I feel like chipping through the ice and packing up a few plants for shipment. No wait. Baby steps.

Maybe come springtime I'll send out a few rose of sharon seedlings or something. I know I can't kill them so I'm pretty sure they'll be safe with the US postal system.

I'm bored. I miss my garden.

Comments (5)

• woodthrush
    18 years ago

Winters are so long here, aren't they? I miss the hostas and lilies - lol
    Pam

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tell me about it. At least the temperatures are back up into the double digits. Not only is the cold weather bad for plants it's also killing me on my heating bills.

At least I got my first catalog yesterday. Already started going through it.
    Now if only I had an amaryllis flowering, the pictures over on the amaryllis forum make me want a few more of my own....
    But in the meantime the pictures go a long way in killing some of the winter blahs!

• raintree55
    18 years ago

I take pics every spring and summer,I just pulled them out the day before Christmas and sat and looked at all the green lush growth the ponds with the frogs,the roses the lilies the hosta jeez Im getting a little frenzied here.
    Kay

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Kato,

I think I've done more trades since 'winter' arrived than I did this summer and bought a few house plants to help me pass the time. I'm having a blast.

I'm researching the seeds I got this year and taking notes of heights and plant structures and I am going to sketch out where I want things to go in the spring. I was fortunate enough to get adopted by a veteran that gave me some extras from her garden and I've been reading the lily forum and researching making crosses. So I have even more to do once I get things going next summer.

I got some amaryllis bulbs that I pollinated and I can't wait for seeds. I've been having so much fun that I got a few more Amaryllis bulbs so I could try crossing them and seeing what results I get.

I have Brug and Datura seeds going that just germinated-so I know there is tons you can do to keep your busy with plants. I'm going to the grocery store tommorrow to check out fresh produce and see what I could grow from seed.

MBT

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wow MBT, you are busy, all I seem to be doing is looking out the windows at melting snow, only to see more slush fall down on top of the old. Argh.
    But then I get a seed catalog and spend the next hour dreaming up new gardens for my yard. Right now I think I need a sea of mixed hardy hibiscus, yesterday it was variegated corn and hybrid moss rose. Tomorrow I'll debate ripping out all the annuals and putting in a rose garden.

I should start a few seeds. I wonder how some marigolds would do indoors? One year I had calendula - they were great!

In the meantime let me check out the pictures from last spring. I looked at them last week and was amazed how nice my garden actually looked - compared to now.... blah... I need more "winter interest"
    Kato

Sponsored