Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want: Yacon aka Peruvian ground apple

Posted by gardenalive Galveston, z9b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 3:23

I would like to try growing those so called Andean superfood. If you have the plants or the starter rhizomes please let me know, and we'll go from there.. Thanks! Phil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want: Yacon aka Peruvian ground apple

I bought a couple plants from Nichols Nursery several years ago. I grew them for 2 or 3 years and was honestly disappointed in the taste. Supposedly if you store the tubers for a while the taste will improve. Maybe it did, but only marginally. They were very bland, almost tasteless but they do have a nice crunchy texture, similar to a fresh water chestnut which IMO is much sweeter with a better flavor. The plant itself looks kind of like tobacco and gets as big. Give it a lot of space. Since my growing season isn't that long I grew one in the yard and another in a half barrel. I didn't notice any difference in taste between the two. I also only got about 6 large tubers per plant but lots of medium and small ones. You use the small tubers for planting the following season.

Maybe with your long growing season and different soil the taste will be better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nichols

o

Hi karyn1,

Thank you for providing the link to Nichols' website! The current price for a yacon plant there is pretty decent. If I don't get a trade offer soon I may just go there and have a second look..Honestly, i've never ate a yacon before so I can't say whether or not I like it. Most people that have tried it have given it rave reviews so that's why I want to try growing it. But it's good to hear differing viewpoints as well. Hearing both sides will help us make better decisions..

One of my biggest concern about cultivating this plant is that it prefers a long, mild growing season. This place does get over 6 months of frost free weather so i'm not too concern about that factor alone. But in terms of mild weather, not necessarily as summer time can sometime get oppressively hot and humid. Anyway I want to try it and see for yourself. It's an experiment that i'm willing to try out because i'm a bit of a zone stretcher if I might add :)..Take care, Phil

o

You should be able to grow it in Galveston...I have raised it in my greenhouse in past years with little difficulty. The humidity works for the plant, but it does not respond well to the heat and 'shuts down' unless it is in a more comfortable space...

I agree with karyn...it was one of those 'good-for-you' historical vegetables that proved to be more trouble than the taste was worth and the plant is not terribly attractive either...you gotta work for this one! LOL

I would recommend calling and talking to Nichols -- great people -- to ensure the availability. It varies greatly with the season and call for the plant. If they know you are looking, they will help.

Good luck!

o

Late summer's here are terribly hot and humid, often triple digit heat and humidity. I agree that the yacon does kind of wilt in high heat but it always recovered over night. I kept the container plant out of late afternoon heat and it didn't wilt nearly as much but the end result wasn't that different. Txaggiegirl I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that was underwhelmed with the taste. Have you considered oca? It's another type of edible tuber, albeit much smaller then a yacon. It's actually a type of oxalis.

o

Ok so it looks like you guys are not too fond of it. Well this just makes me want to try growing it even more! Perhaps i'll be the exception here and enjoy eating it anyway..:) Thanks for the info and take care everyone...

o

Would love to trade for some of this. I am in Los Angeles.

o

HI I would like a tuber or two. i have voodoo lily bulbsto trade as well as sting of hearts tubers med size. i just read the article on yacon. sounds good if it 's crunchy like water chestnuts. im in san fran bay area but the hot side in coco county.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here