Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsoup

WANTED: Cane Begonia

catsoup
10 years ago

I don't have a large variety of plants to trade. I used to have many of these cane begonias but they are all gone now. I'd love pink, red or salmon colored blooms.

Comments (10)

• catsoup
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also crochet babies & ladies hats and would trade for plants. I have a facebook page that shows them. It is Grandma Kathie's Crochet Cuties.

• mark4321_gw
    10 years ago

I'm never quite sure what's considered a cane, so I'll just let you know what I have. None of mine are angel wings, though.

I think these first two are sometimes called canes:

B. 'Little Brother Montgomery' (I have lots of small plants)
    B. rubriflora (have lots of seedlings).

The next is usually called a shrub, but it does get tall, with showy leaves and flowers:

B. 'Gene Daniels' (have rooted cuttings)

Also a shrub, and grown for flowers:

B. fuchsioides (have rooted cutting, unrooted cuttings)

And more shrubs:

B. 'Paul Hernandez' (rooted, unrooted cuttings)
    B. 'Rudy's Luxurians' (unrooted cuttings)
    B. kellermanii (rooted cuttting)

Plus a variety of rhizomatous and rexes...

• mark4321_gw
    10 years ago

(duplicate deleted)

This post was edited by mark4321 on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 4:30

• catsoup
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark4321 thank you for responding to my post. I am looking for canes like Barbara Rose, Casper, Josephine, those types of begonias. I would be interested in the Little Brother Montgomery. What did you find that you would like to trade for? I know I don't have much on my list.

• mark4321_gw
    10 years ago

I'd be happy to send B. 'Little Brother Montgomery' for postage. Actually I could send more than one and/or other things to push close to a weight limit (i.e. a pound).

I really have a ton of 'L.B.M.' right now. I gave a friend a leaf to propagate--she rooted it and gave it back to me. I decided to have some fun and see how many plants I could crank out of it. I gave her back 8 already. Below are the next 6, which are close to being ready, in 3 inch pots. 5 or more are in the works.

• catsoup
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent you an email. Thanks so much!!

• lindamarie
    10 years ago

That is a pic of Rex Begonias. I have several cane Begonias, but I do not know the names

• mark4321_gw
    10 years ago

I can assure you that Begonia 'Little Brother Montgomery' is not a rex. The patterning on the leaves is somewhat reminiscent of a rex, however, which makes this easy to grow Begonia particularly popular. People have grown it successfully outdoors in places like Washigton D.C. Not only does it tolerate the summer heat, but it comes back after dying back in the winter, even in that zone 7 climate.

Below is a photo of my mom's 'Little Brother Montgomery', which does well for her as a houseplant.

I have seen B. 'Little Brother Montgomery' called a cane Begonia (Logee's for example uses that terminology). I'm not sure it's correct.

• catsoup
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lindamarie, what color are the blooms on your canes? Would you be interested in a trade? I have very little but would love to get a start of different canes. If you like crochet items you could look at my facebook page Grandma Kathie's Crochet Cuties. I make & sell sock monkey, owl, raccoon, tiger, and other types of hats for the little ones, they love them as gifts. I also make ladies hats, baby flip flops. Please let me know if you would be interested. The names of the cane begonias don't matter to me, I just love the way they look

• catsoup
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark4321, THANK YOU for a wonderful package in the mail today. I had a great afternoon potting up the plants and looking up how to care for them so they will be happy.

Sponsored