Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

WANTED: Mother's Day Plants

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

If it were up to me, I would give my mom a lot more plants. However, she prefers to have 30 plants (all in pots) instead of 300, which means I have to limit things a bit.

So I figured I'd post some of the extas I've propagated, intending them to go towards the Gardenweb members who are mothers, or towards member's mothers perhaps.

{{gwi:37173}}

1) Impatiens flanaganae. Tuberous and decidous. COOL GROWER.

2) Lapageria rosea, white. 1.5 year old seedling, 2 years to bloom? COOL GROWER.

3) Petunia exserta. Tender perennial, hummingbird pollinated in wild.

4) Calla 'Hercules' (Zantedeschia aethiopica). Gets as big as 7 feet in favorable conditions.

5) Silene capensis. 'Xhosa Dream Herb'. Said to induce lucid/vivid dreams. Night-scented.

6) Aristolochia macroura (A. trilobata). Bizarre and briefly foul-smelling.

7) Erythrina crista-galli. Tree. Seeds from a famous spectacular local specimen.

8) Sonchus arboreus. Tree dandelion. Seriously. This may be still too young/small. COOL GROWER?

9) Agapetes 'Ludgvan Cross'. Caudiciform, epiphyte. COOL GROWER.

1. Lysionotus pauciflorus. Gesneriad, somewhat cold tolerant. Best grown in a mesh pot.

2. Impatiens tinctoria. Tuberous, huge, fragrant. COOL GROWER.

I'm sending for postage. My plan is to send these individually. These should ship for under a pound in most or all cases.

Cool growers typically won't survive an average American summer. They are generally best along the Pacific coast, or, in some cases the far North. I'll send those to people in an appropriate climate only.

Comments (14)

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not going to bother trying to switch to the "Have" category and/or double post this.

GardenWeb really needs to fix this or give us the ability to edit titles.

• darlene87
    11 years ago

I am from the Pacific Northwest. You have a nice selection of plants there, hard to chose one. I chose Impatiens flanaganae. Mainly because I have a greenhouse, a cold storage house also for my brugs. Thus I can save the bulb. Let me know if this available, and how much to send for it. Darlene

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Darlene,

Sounds good. I'll email you tomorrow.

• fearadyn
    11 years ago

How wonderful, your mom is one lucky gal! I'm a mom and grandmom and I would love to try the Impatiens tinctoria. I'm in the mountains of central Pa, my zone is six. It does get warm in summer but always cools off at night. However if you feel this is still too hot I would also love your calla, they do very well for me.
    Thank you so much!! I'll be emailing you~

• markparsons435
    11 years ago

This is very thoughtful of you

I would be interested in your Silene capensis. 'Xhosa Dream Herb'

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fearadyn and markparsons, I will email you sometime today.

fearadyn, I think I. tintcoria should be OK with your summers. To give you an idea of what can kill it, a friend in coastal Southern California had a big, established one. Last summer they had a weird extended heatwave for more than a month. Highs were mostly over 85 and lows 65-70. Here's what he said in late September:

"The big fragrant impatiens, tinctoria, has just collapsed and died out. At first it just wilted and it sort of recovered from the wilt during the night, then it just dropped flat to the ground without recovering at night, and then it just turned into brown mush. It never burned, it was not the sun, it was the heat."

I think his plant came back from the tuber.

It's too bad heat zones aren't in greater use. In general, I think cool growers would be happy with summers in heat zones 1, 2 and 3, with zone 4 borderline.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:37172}}

• risinsun
    10 years ago

Sent you a message.

Thanks,
    Brandi

• Mark Scarlato
    9 years ago

I know this is an old post, however, I have been searching for Lapageria rosea for a long while. Do you have any for sale? I want to grow it indoors in a container. if you have any, please email me at: mark@fornarolaw.com

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Anyone know where to get petunia exserta seed it would look nice in my hanging baskets and hopefully the hummingbirds would like it as much as the runner bean.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Thanks I'll give them a try message me and I'll send sase

• eloise_ca
    8 years ago

WHM, also check anniesannuals.com for Petunia exserta.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wild Haired Mavens, I need your address ASAP. I messaged you last night, so you may not have seen that yet. Thanks.

• mcc371
    8 years ago

Mark4321_gw

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you might still have some of the following that you are willing to trade or for SASE. Just let me know either way.

Calla 'Hercules' (Zantedeschia aethiopica). Gets as big as 7 feet in favorable conditions.

Silene capensis. 'Xhosa Dream Herb'. Said to induce lucid/vivid dreams. Night-scented.

Erythrina crista-galli. Tree. Seeds from a famous spectacular local specimen.

Lysionotus pauciflorus. Gesneriad, somewhat cold tolerant. Best grown in a mesh pot.

Have a beautiful day!

Tammy

Sponsored