Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

HAVE: Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea unrooted cuttings

mark4321_gw
10 years ago

I had to cut back one of my Passifloras that was getting a little too big. Here's what I ended up with:

{{gwi:44179}}

After I started 20 cuttings in perlite and 10 in water, I still had some left over, so I packed a bunch into 1 gallon ziploc bags to offer for postage:

{{gwi:44180}}

I hate to toss good cuttings, but I still had a few leftovers and those went in the trash.

I'd like to send the cuttings in the gallon bags all to the same person, for postage, which I'll round to $7.

This will be a lot of cuttings to deal with at once. There is no use in making long cuttings; 2-3 node cuttings work best. I've only rooted these in the past in perlite, although possibly water will work. I suspect they will rot if one attempts to root them in soil. Other methods, such as rooting in florist's foam (Oasis cubes) may work. Here are some tips for rooting:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/passiflora/msg100542156419.html

For those unfamiliar with the hybrid, it comes from Strybing Arboretum (SF Botanical Garden). Since hybrids of similar ancestry have already been registered, it will almost certainly retain the name "Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea". The hybrid is an exceptional one, and is being sold under this name by a number of the top nurseries such as Annie's Annuals, Brushwood and Grassy Knoll. This is a vigorous hybrid, perhaps too vigorous for many spots. In the ground it is reported to be hardy to 15-20 F. It will bloom in a 1 gallon (or probably smaller) pot.

The parents and the hybrid:

{{gwi:44181}}

As I say, I want to send all the cuttings to one person. I will likely have rooted cuttings available later.

Sponsored