Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Have: Alyogyne hakeifolia--tulip, pine tree or Hibiscus?

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

A have a seedling of Alyogyne hakeifolia for trade. The plant has needle-like foliage and flowers that to me look like tulips. It is indeed closely related to a Hibiscus and was called Hibiscus hakeifolia until several species were split off into their own genus. One of the others is Alyogyne huegelii, also known as the "blue Hibiscus". These two plants have heavily overlapping ranges in Australia and live in essentially Mediterranean climates. Because of this I suspect they do well with similar care, although I suspect A. hakeifolia may be a little fussier.

Today a rooted cutting bloomed at a small size (on the left in the photo below). The seedling next to it (the plant in the middle) is the one up for trade. I'm guessing that rooted cuttings bloom smaller than seedlings, but I've been told that seedlings also bloom pretty small.

{{gwi:51011}}

A view from above (again, it's the nonblooming larger seedling which is not in the picture that I'm trading):

{{gwi:51012}}

It turns out that those are not the best examples of flowers--the petals are a bit curled over, perhaps simply because they are the first flowers of a young plant.

A better flower from the mother plant (the stigma in the center is indeed day-glow pink):

{{gwi:51014}}

The mother plant itself last summer:

{{gwi:51015}}

The plant is said to get about 6-10 feet tall and out here was damaged by a 26 F freeze last winter.

As part of the trade I can add a couple other things if one is interested:

Aristolochia gigantea cuttings--unrooted or rooted if you can wait a couple weeks. I started some several days ago--they are quick and easy with bottom heat. The mother plant had 8-9 inch flowers last summer. They smell like lemons.

{{gwi:50983}}

Passiflora exoniensis x parritae cuttings--unrooted or rooted if you can wait a few weeks. These are also easy, surprisingly. These bloom in late summer and fall and I got my plant in February, so no pictures yet. I'm told the flowers are like P. exoniensis but bigger. This one may have trouble in areas that are hot in the summer, particularly if nights are warm.

Finally, if you are willing to foot the bill for shipping, I have about 20 seedlings of Echium wildpretii, mostly in 4 inch pots, and I can add one of those. This is a spectacular plant, usually a biennial, hardy to about 25 F. Dave's Garden has some incredible photos:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/31002/

The seedlings:

{{gwi:50984}}

In exchange there are a few things I'm interested in, such as: Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba', Begonia luxurians, Monstera deliciosa albo variegata, Lardizabala biternata (Zabala fruit), interesting passionflowers that I don't have...other interesting flowering vines, etc. Just ask if you think it's something I might be interested in--I don't keep trade lists.

Please email me directly.

Comments (3)

Sponsored