Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_goat

HAVE: Have a bunch of stuff, and no idea what I'm doing.

the_goat
9 years ago

HI!

Due to a recently-ended career at a home-improvement center with a nice garden center and friendships with people who know more about plants than I do, I have a decent amount of plants. I'm now working on refining said plants, cultivating what I want, and eliminating what I don't.

What I want are bearded irises and daylilies. I have about an acre and a half of land, much of which I'm clearing of overgrowth and trees to promote healthier plant life and, well...sunshine.

What I HAVE are:

- A couple bearded irises, including the ugliest mustard yellow and pink bearded iris I've ever seen. I have no idea what it is, but it was given to me by a very, very nice gentleman. The other is a dark violet iris...I believe it's called a "Dusky Challenger" if memory serves. I had some Queen's Tiara Irises that I lost a couple years back to a vole attack.

- Siberian blue flag irises.

- Daylilies: Painted Horse, Fooled Me, Jungle Beauty, Custard Candy, and three or four others that I cannot for the life of me remember what they are. *Please note - some of these are probably not quite big enough to split yet.*

- Asiatic Lilies: Ah, these things. They're simply out of control. I have about eight different varieties, including one pink hybrid that I swear manifested in my garden. It's light pink, with, a best I can describe it, drops of darker pink bleeding back in toward the center. I split it last year to two neighbors, and it's coming back stronger than ever this year. It's just awesome. It looks like a watercolor.

- Double orange tigerlilies: I'm apparently the only cool kid on the block with these.

So I'm looking for interesting stuff. I've completely fallen in love with bearded irises. Let me know what you've got.

I will post pictures as I can...

Comments (46)

• cyh527
    9 years ago

I am interested in the Double orange tigerlilies, do they have spots on them? Also interested in asiatic lilies if they are non-orange, yellow, or white with pink tints. Do you have any edibles? check my list and email me if interested

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I have a lot of bearded iris that I will be digging up. Some I have alot, others just one. I like to trade for your Dusky Challenger and some pink asiatic lilies. and maybe just 2 bulbs of the Tiger Lilies. These are the irises I will be digging up. Trade would be 1 rhizome for 1 of your bulb.

Anachonda love
    Oasis Donut
    Lorna's Teena Doll
    Jazz band
    Pinktastic
    Last Laugh
    Prime Power
    Bal Masque
    Queen's Circle
    Italian Ice
    Louisa's Song
    Afternoon in Rio
    Blue Review - give you these for free, have too many
    Lena Baker - - give you these for free, have too many
    Miami Heat
    Lady Garnet
    Bold Vision
    Luxor Gold
    Ghost Train

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Welcome "THE GOAT". I see you just joined and are trying to get started trading. I was new several years ago and understand that it is hard to get started. You need to add your email. I am interested in your pink lilies, your Dusky Challenger iris, painted Horses daylily, Jungle Beauty daylily and Custard candy. Check out my trade list. I would love to help you get started trading. Please email me and we could chat. It is a lot of fun trading. You will find that most people will ask you to send first to establish yourself. If interested and want to learn more about trading and what I may have to offer, email me at: flowersbytheriver2@msn.com Garden Web does not allow folks to respond thru emails sent thru them. Good luck and have fun. I garden on an acre and have many beautiful things that need to be divided.

This post was edited by illinoisdoglover on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 10:52

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Email is owenturner3@gmail.com. I'm waiting to see how the painted horse and jungle beauty daylilies fill out before determining if I'm gonna split them. I will have one rhizome of the dusky challenger, and a boatload of the crazy pink watercolor looking asiatics, some other asiatics and the double orange tigerlilies. (They do NOT have spots.)

Trying to attach a pic of one of the irises. I'm fairly certain that's what this iris was called.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

If you have only one Dusky Challenger, you can trade that with illinoisdoglover. I really do not need any more irises. I certainly would love to trade for 2 pink asiatic bulbs and 2 tiger lilies bulbs.Thank you.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kousa, I have a couple different pinks that I'll be happy to trade, including the really interesting one. They're about 3-4 weeks away from blooming (I live in the Pocono Mountains, so I'm a little behind everyone else.), but I'll post pictures when they bloom.

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

I am interested in
    including one pink hybrid that I swear manifested in my garden. It's light pink, with, a best I can describe it, drops of darker pink bleeding back in toward the center. I split it last year to two neighbors, and it's coming back stronger than ever this year. It's just awesome. It looks like a watercolor.

please take a look at my list and see if we can trade.

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Thanks Kousa, I am still interested in the items I listed. I too will be waiting for pictures but do want some of those pink lilies, a mixture of both would be fine. Did you check out my trade list yet? I have not received your email yet. happy gardening everyone.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Attached photo of ugly Iris. More soon...replying to emails in a day or so.

• Pat
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum. I would be interested in seeing pictures of your asiatic lilies when they bloom. I have bearded iris and many, many, many named daylilies in addition to scads of daylily seedlings.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: The Iris is NOT a Dusky Challenger. It is a Superstition iris.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Addendum: If, for whatever reason, someone wants ferns or hellaciously thorny blackberries, please let me know. Because I'm about done with them.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Attached: Photo of first-blooming yellow Asiatic. Nothing special, but I have herds of them if anyone wants to trade for something.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Attached: This is a photo from last year (I think). It's not the pink with darker pink drips I have described; it's another one of my collection...it'll probably bloom in a week or two.

Note: I'm on vacation next week, so if I don't respond to anyone, that's why.

This post was edited by The_Goat on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 11:59

• phyllis8483
    9 years ago

I have some white iris and some siberian iris if you are interested. I would love some asiatic lilies. Email me at crosbyphyllis@yahoo.com

• fuzzy57
    9 years ago

sent an email

• fuzzy57
    9 years ago

i would be interested in some of your blue river iris lena baker iris the asiatic lilies and the ugly yellow iris

• aquawise
    9 years ago

You old Ugly Iris might be "Plurabelle" by Cayeux 1933. Here is a pic of mine

• lindamarie
    9 years ago

I would love to see a pic of the double orange Tiger Lilies

• vaflowernut
    9 years ago

I'd love to have the pink with yellow asiatic lily and the water color lily if you have any other mixed color lilies i be interested in them also. I have iris immortality, a light blue iris, daylily strawberry fields forever. hope we can trade :) thanks

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Popped this morning...this one looks a little different than last year...still not the pink one I referred to in the original post....

Leaving on vacation this morning.

• sheilaschnauzies
    9 years ago

Hi! I would love to trade for your "ugly" pink and mustard yellow, along with Blue Review - and
    Lena Baker. Please check my trade list and you can email me at SheilaSchnauzies@gmail.com

• thejosh626
    9 years ago

Hi goat! I have a variety of things on my page. Please take a look. I'd like to trade for anything you have to offer. :)

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another. I've decided to only post what I can split, otherwise I'm just being a tease. Everything I've posted thus far, I can. I will start returning e-nails this week, in the order they were received.

This one I can split. 2 or 3 plants.

For what it's worth, the yellow Asiatic is absolutely brilliant.

This post was edited by The_Goat on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:04

• claysoil
    9 years ago

Since you are a newbie, a word of advice. Check the rate and review for people offering you trades. Unfortunately, many of us have been victims of scams.

If you would be interested in hellebores, mostly pinks/whites, anemone flowers, I could trade any sized box for equal sized lilies/irises. I'm in south eastern Pa so our shipping would be reasonable if you're around the Poconos.

• last1earth
    9 years ago

Hello,Rose of Sharon (white) trees seedlings, Sedum Autumn Joy (I think it is called) baby plants, Helleborus seedlings, Heuchera Palace Purple plant.

I would sent multiple if you want any cuttings.
    Have Variegated Weigela, Purple SMoke Bush, Variegated Lilac, a white/green sedum, a darker purplish sedum.

I would love Lilies-all except yellow. I also have iris but I'd need to find a picture of those. last1earth@yahoo.com

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it appears that the batch I'm referring to didn't do the "dark pink drips" thing like it did last year. It turned out just like the other batch...

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For what it's worth, here's one of my Asiatic patches. The second is all like the pink and white picture that I posted today, so I have plenty of those to give out. Deer annihilated the third patch, so I really don't know what's in it.

I have a good amount of the tall orange/dark pink in the back to give.

The orange with brown centers in the foreground should be ready to split next year.

• Zophra
    9 years ago

Still trading? See if I have anything that interests you on my page.

• lindamarie
    9 years ago

I do not know why most of the the replies here are coming to my private email box

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Still have not received your email, are you still offering plants for trade?

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lindamarie: From what I understand, that can be changed in your profile.

Oddly, only ONE plant did the "drips" thing...it opened today. I wanted to post it so nobody thought I was crazy or making it up.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Illinoisdoglover:

Yes. I'll be e-mailing you. I didn't want to start digging/separating until after bloom. I bloom later than most. (For example, the double orange tiger lilies are still at least a week away from blooming.)

• lindamarie
    9 years ago

Profile has nothing to do with this. Your posts and replies are coming to my email. Please stop

• Zophra
    9 years ago

Okay last one to your email I hope, but when you posted your original message, the site gave you the option of having all postings on this thread going to your email. I think to stop it, post another message on his thread and at the bottom it says" If you no longer wish to receive notifications for this message click here." Do this to stop the email chaos. Sorry about this one going to your mailbox.

• Jane269
    9 years ago

Do you by chance have any seed??? for any of these? I moved from MI to WV and plants didn't survive 11 hour moving truck ride so I have nothing to trade - sase? I have almost an acre now to get started on - thanx for your consideration :)

• kchd
    9 years ago

lindamarie, when you posted to this thread, you checked a box that said Check here if you would like post replies emailed to you. Please note that you must enable this feature on your Preferences page by checking off 'Allow other users to send you email'.

The original poster has no control over you receiving additional posts to this thread. To fix this, reply to this thread again, and UNCHECK the box that says you want to receive follow-up replies via email.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe I have now replied to everyone in this thread. If I haven't, let me know by direct e-mail...don't do so through the site, because I don't receive those.

The double orange tiger lilies STILL haven't bloomed...but they will...and I'm at war with the deer to keep them safe.

• Pat
    9 years ago

Chip, I have to have your mailing address so I can send these daylilies out tomorrow. Please take note of this and respond to my last e-mail.

Thanks - Pat

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pat, I'm hoping I replied to you. If I did not, I apologize, and will do so immediately. In the mean time, the first double tiger bloomed today.

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update:

I've begun digging and shipping, moving down in the order I e-mailed to. If you have not heard from me since my confirmation, you will soon.

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Hi! Do you still have any of your "ugly Iris"? I think it is beautiful and would love a start.

I have an Iris that is short (not mini, just not tall) and it is the same color as Raspberry Sherbet that you buy in the store.

I don't have names for mine they were mostly traded for, sorry. If you still have some, please email me. Thanks, hope I am not too late!!!~~Rosie

• the_goat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosie:

The Plurabelle that I had to trade is gone; sorry about that. I only have one (big) rhizome left, but I'm not going to try to split it this year. I may try it nest year, as I gradually shift all of my Irises out toward the front of my property.

I'm close to being done sending things out - I'm sending a package tomorrow, resending a pink/white bulb to someone, helping someone out who lost all her plants, and then trading with someone in a few weeks due to weather restrictions.

If I e-mailed someone in this thread and we agreed on a trade, and I HAVEN'T conversed with you, please let me know.

Stuff that I've learned:

1) This takes a LOT more time than I had anticipated.

2) Blue flag Siberian Irises could probably be used for the foundation of a house.

3) Asiatic Lily Bulbs require a far quicker turnaround time than daylilies or Irises.

• Pat
    8 years ago

The asiatic lilies you sent me last year in trade for daylilies just bloomed and they are the wrong ones. I wanted the yellow with the marron speckles and got plain short yellow ones. Boohoo!

• the_goat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well then.

I shall send you more.

How's that? :)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner