Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

WANTED: sticky posts!

gwtamara
11 years ago

Hi folks,

Just added a new feature -- sticky posts! I know this will be a big help on the exchanges, so please let me know what you'd like to see listed in the post. While it is tempting to put a lot of information in this post, keep in mind that if it's overwhelming, most users won't take the time to read it. I think that spelling out things like special instructions and forum rules of play would be great and then having links to the specific FAQs for other info would work out the best.

Let me know what you'd like to see and I'll add it in.

Tamara

Comments (4)

• ms_minnamouse
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Suggestions for how to properly package plants. No one likes getting dessicated or rotted or mangled plants in the mail.

Also the begging for free plants is pretty annoying, especially if free plants weren't offered in the first place. I'm not against plants for postage but I get emails from people asking me what plants I can send them for free when I never made any plants for postage offers.

The Special Instructions says what should be summed up, I guess.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Tammy, I agree 100% with Minna about people asking for FREE PLANTS - NO - they need to find something to TRADE! If they ask for free plants or seeds, their post needs to be DELETED!

Also, LABEL the plants you send AND put both your USER NAME and real name in the box. Just yesterday I received a box with the person's REAL name, but don't know who they are because there was no USER name to identify them. Also, one of the plants has no label, so I have no idea what it is.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Well, the Special Instructions as well as the FAQ are in need of some serious updating.

Example...Special Instructions
    The exchanges were created to facilitate the arranging of trades of plants and seeds between members. Please do not use them to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. If you have nothing to offer at this time, please wait until you do.

The exchanges were created to facilitate the arranging of trades of plants and seeds between members. You must be 18 years or older to participate. Please do not use them to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. If you have nothing to offer at this time, please wait until you do. This totally leaves out addressing members offering up their excess for postage.

Each post must have a type of trade, subject and a message.

Might this be better, or something similar?
    The exchanges were created to facilitate the arranging of trades of plants and seeds between members. You must be 18 years or older to participate. Please do not use them to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage. If you have nothing to offer at this time, please wait until you do.

Could the Type of Trade choices at the bottom maybe be changed to Wanted and Have so that one could post offers of their excesses for postage...as in,"Have mixed irises for postage" or Have Strawberry plants for postage?"
    Or could there be a third option of Have for postage.

Or better yet, make it a Type Of Transaction, with Wanted or Have. Often members have excess, and they really aren't wanting to make trades at that time.

The FAQ could be set up to better help newbies. Maybe first making an FAQ Outline would be best to arrange the Information and questions in sort of a logical order?
    1-Getting set up and started
    A--setting up your GW profile, garden zone and location, email settings So many new members don't have a member page email link, thus there is no way to contact them. Could the default setting when one joins be changed to Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site. It used to be that way, but somehow got changed several years ago
    B--setting up your Trade Page
    C-Member Page Blurb-share a bit about yourself or your gardening style and/or challenges.
    2--Nothing to trade? Watch for members posting their excess plants, bulbs, etc for postage. Check out the Seed Exchange, for either trading seeds or checking out the many generous Seeds for Postage Offers.
    3--Posting a trade --checking The Rate and Review Forum for member reviews.

Basically the FAQ as they are could be scrapped, as even the one covering What is the best way to package and ship plants? doesn't cover bulbs which are packaged dry (daffodils, tulips, etc), or iris rhizomes that are packed dry, or many rooted plants that can be sent dry, with roots not wrapped. There is no cut and dried way, so under packing plants it could list some that are the exception to the rule, or that can be packaged either dry or moist. When in doubt about the packaging, check with the member you are trading with.

The FAQ How do I get free Priority mailing supplies? is pretty well obsolete.

The FAQ How can I be sure of a fair trade? is also obsolete as it states, "GardenWeb cannot be responsible for 'rating' traders, or keeping lists of those who do not follow through on agreed trades. It makes no mention of checking the The Rate and Review Forum before making a trade, as well as rating one's trading partner after the trade is completed.

Just my 3 cents.....for now anyway.

Sue...rbb

• kayjones
    11 years ago

All good points, with which I agree.

I think if someone goes ahead and asks for 'donations' for postage, after reading and agreeing to the terms of trading, THEY SHOULD BE BANNED.

Tamara, perhaps adding a CLICK BOX, stating that you have READ AND ACCEPT the Terms of Trading would be very helpful!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES