Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Looking for Oregano

Posted by gmom2-6boys mi z4-5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 11:25

Needing Culinary Oregano. Someone who has great tasting culinary oregano, I would like to trade or buy. No seed just plants. My oregano has no taste. The bees love it but not me. Want something new.
Can you help?
gmom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Looking for Oregano

If you want good strong oregano I recommend mexican oregano. Its a perenial shrub with white flowers and woody stems.Lipia graveolins. I have only one plant at the moment because they are not frost tolerant . I grow them from seed every year in zone 5 . You can winter them over as a house plant but they dont really like the dry indoor winter and they drop a lot of leaves. They make very few seeds in the north too. You can root cuttings though they are more vigorous from seed. I will try to root a few

Here is a link that might be useful: ricjo22's trade lists

o

Gmom, I read that the Greek oregano was "the real deal" so that is what I got. It smells like pizza to me.
IT has survived two winters in my AZ garden but don't think it will do OK here in Z 5.
Maybe I should try sending you some in the spring if you don't find what you want.
Bethb.

o

Hi Beth, It's been a long time for any trading between us.
My research says Oregano is a perennial plant for z5. We are both in that zone. If you have extra plants we can trade now and get it growing before winter.
I just checked out your trade page and I have Daisies, Black eyed susans, Succlents, and Choc. mint. Any or all of these are good. Let me know.
gmom

o

I have Greek oregano... cook with it all the time and love it. It overwintered here perfectly. I've ready it can be grown from cuttings. Would you want to trade for some cuttings? Send me an email if you're interested

o

gmom I'll email you direct

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here