Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheipat

HAVE: Day lilies to trade for....?

Pat Sheinman
10 years ago

Hi - We are about to start digging up and dividing thousands of day lilies on the property we just purchased which was a day lily nursery. If you're interested in any, please let me know, and make an offer re: something to trade. We have about 30 different varieties which, unfortunately, are unidentifiable when not blooming. So if you don't care what variety they are, great. If you do, then we'll have to wait until next summer :-)

Comments (15)

• llnoe
    10 years ago

I would love to trade, but would need to know the color as I have tons of the orange daylilies and would like some other kind. Definitely interested for next summer! :)

• Pat Sheinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terrific, llnoe! We have lots of colors, so let's keep in touch and we'll work something out in June/July when they're in bloom.

• daisy_lee
    10 years ago

I would love to trade also, so keep me in mind for next year too! I need to know the colors for placement in my garden and next year I should have more to trade!

Thanks!

Carol

• daisy_lee
    10 years ago

I would love to trade also, so keep me in mind next year too! I need to know the colors for placement in my garden and next year I should have more to trade!

Thanks!

Carol

• daisy_lee
    10 years ago

I would love to trade also, so keep me in mind next year too! I need to know the colors for placement in my garden and next year I should have more to trade!

Thanks!

Carol

• daisy_lee
    10 years ago

Thanks!

Carol

• david883
    10 years ago

I'd be interested for next year, too!!!

• david883
    10 years ago

I'd be interested for next year, too!!!

• llnoe
    10 years ago

I've put this post on my google calendar for next June. Looking forward to a possible trade. A daylily nursery..wow..so neat!!! :D

• ruthz
    10 years ago

sheipat, I would be very interested, but would like to know more about the type of daylilies grown there. Can you share any more info, such as what hybridizers daylilies that was grown there or what the 30 different varieties are.

I especially like pinks, whites and oranges that are 5" or larger.
    I would also like to add some late bloomers.
    I don't seem to like reds and yellows that much, although I do have a yellow noid that I love.

Will you be selling any or just trading?
    I'll be in York in late November, if your anywhere near there.
    Also, what types of things are you interested in trading for?

This post was edited by ruthz on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 12:42

• Pat Sheinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi ruthz - I know very little about day lilies in general, and equally little about the ones that are growing on our property! We do have some very large whites and pinks. Also some late bloomers, but most of those are yellows or red/oranges. We would love to find someone to come out and help us identify them when they bloom next year. IN the meantime I'm hoping to start dividing and giving some away to friends who stopped by when they were blooming to pick out their favorites. Ultimately, we would love to sell some of them - our long range plan is to reduce the total number of plants by about 2/3. I know that some of them are hybrids created by the former owner, and I believe there is one named for her: "Emma Griffing" by Grovatt, but I don't know what it looks like! I found a description online and I believe it is a large pale yellow, but that's all I know. We are a couple hours' drive from York, just outside of Philadelphia. As for what I want to trade for, I want to establish a butterfly and hummingbird garden, and I'm also fond of berries :-)

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Do you have pictures of the daylilies posted anywhere that I could look at. Maybe on facebook.

If the lady sold online, maybe people on the daylily forum could help with the names of what she grew and sold. Having names to match up with the flower would make identifying much easier.

I don't have any berries but do have a lot of butterfly and hummingbird attracting plants. I'm just not sure they would do well for your zone.
    Some of their favorites that I have are phlox, lantana, salvia's, butterfly weed, Gregg's Mist flower and zinnia's.

Check my list and let me know if I have anything you might be interested in, or email me info on purchasing the daylilies.
    Our temps are in the hundreds right now, so I would not be able to dig/ship until maybe late September when we cool down a little.

• Pat Sheinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ruthz - If you're on Facebook, you can check out the page I just started called "Lily Dally Farm" - some pics there so you can see the variety. Just a small sampling - I will add more along the way. I'm in no hurry for new plants - we have our hands full at the moment, but maybe in the spring? Is butterfly weed also known as Railroad Annie? If so, I've heard it's impossible to dig up because of the really long tap root. We have one growing amongst the daylilies.

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

I would love daylilies - not terribly picky about colors honestly although maybe a few that you know the colors of would be nice.

I have lots of raspberries (fall and july bearing). I might have marionberries (need to see if I have any to spare, they are fussy and don't seem to make the same plethora of canes that the other berries do..). I have blackberries up the wazzoo (they are invasive here LOL! But not elsewhere usually). I also have salmonberries which are edible but more interesting than anything else. Anyway - I have berries :p

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I looked on Facebook at your pictures. You have some really pretty daylilies and looks like a wonderful place.

The butterfly weed I grow is Asclepias curassavica, commonly called Mexican Butterfly Weed, Blood-flower, Scarlet Milkweed or, Tropical Milkweed. It's easily grown from seed, as is the zinnias and some salvia's. It may be the same as Railroad Annie, but I've never heard it called that.

Good luck with your exciting project.