Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

WANTED: hedychium greenii

sun_worshiper
10 years ago

I bought a tuber this spring, but no luck. Didn't sprout. Would still really like to try it. Anyone growing it that could trade me a small start?

I have lots of things to trade. I've got about 6 other kinds of gingers, ruby grass seedlings, and some purple queen emma crinum offsets. If you are local, I've actually got a pretty big queen emma I could trade (too big to ship), as well as banana pups and some big passion fruit vines that have outgrown their home. I grow a lot of things, feel free to contact me if you grow greenii and let me know what type of things you'd trade for, and I'll see if I have them.

Comments (4)

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    10 years ago

Indiana guy here....I have several greenii's that were started from the plantlets I got on the flowering stalks last year. They are in 4" pots and would be a good size for shipping. I have about 20 other hedychiums already...which ones do you have to trade? Let me know if you are interested and give me an email so we can set this thing up.

This post was edited by hoosierbob on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 16:52

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi hoosierbob. Yes - I'm very interested! Your email is disabled, so I couldn't reply back to you via email. Can you turn your email on, or send me an email with your reply to address?

Very impressive that you have 20 kinds of hedychium! I've only got 2 kinds of hedychiums, but plenty of each to trade. Kind of common, so you might have them already.
    hedychium 'Disney'
    hedychium coronarium

Other kinds of ginger I'm growing that I have at least enough of each for a small offset:
    curcuma zedoaria
    curcuma 'Panama Purple'
    Zingberger zerumbet
    zingberger neglectum
    curcuma alismatifolia 'siam scarlet'
    alpinia purpurata 'Dwarf Red'

And not a ginger techically, but similar in appearance:
    Dichorisandra thyrsiflora (blue ginger)

Looking at your page, it says you grow bromeliads too. I also have offsets of few types:
    Neoregelia 'Martin'
    Aechmea gamosepala
    Portea petropolitana extensa
    Neoregelia 'Bossa Nova'

Let me know if any of those are on your want list, otherwise I'm more than happy to pay postage.

Angela

• MariaTR
    10 years ago

Hi Maria here from Orlando, Fl. zone 9b

I don't have that many gingers but what I have I can share. Here's what I have:

Hedychium Coronarium-Butterfly Ginger
    Costus Spicatus (aka Costus scaber) 'Indian Head Ginger'
    Hedychium sp. Salmon/Apricot Butterfly Ginger
    Alpinia Zerumbet 'Shell Ginger'
    Zingiber zerumbet (Shampoo Ginger)
    Alpinia Purpurata Zingieraceae
    Lavender Ginger (Curcuma)
    I can send you pictures of everyone of them. They have all bloom and some are still blooming.

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob, I sent you a reply via email. Let me know if you don't get it.

Maria - nice to meet someone local! I'm not looking for any of the gingers you have on your list. Which ones were you hoping for? Maybe we could trade for something else? Also, some of mine periodically need culling to keep in bounds. I'd be happy to share with you when that happens.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks