Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: List your Zone, pretty please

Posted by xiangirl 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:23

I have been looking at posts for plants in zones 3-11. That's a very WIDE range.. I can accept plants from zones 6,7,8,9, and 10+, but they will have to live in my living room.
If you list your zone it helps many of us to know if we're compatible right up front. Most of us will look at your plant list even if we're in a different zone, but it gives us great information up front.

Thank you,
Heidi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: List your Zone, pretty please

• Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:43

It's also incredibly useful to give some idea of location. I think this is most important for the warmer zones.

For example Miami, San Francisco and Phoenix (parts) are zone 10. Miami is nearly tropical, warm and humid. Phoenix is extremely hot and dry. San Francisco is cool and foggy. A completely different set of plants thrive in all three places. Just giving the USDA zone doesn't help much when it comes to zones 9-10.

The other reason is that postage costs go up much faster for more distant destinations.

o

so true....
and like me in WV... just a few minutes drive in our mountains and you're 5 in one area, but 6 in another.
Our winters are extremely snowy with sopping wet springs

Chris

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 20:17

This is where the Sunset Climate Zones come in handy!

A plant's performance is governed by the total climate: length of growing season, timing and amount of rainfall, winter lows, summer highs, wind, and humidity.

Sunset's climate zone maps take all these factors into account, unlike the familiar hardiness zone maps devised by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which divides most of North America into zones based strictly on winter lows.

I'm right on the border of zone 31 and zone 33, leaning more towards zone 31.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's your climate zone?

o

The 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map breaks Florida into eight zones whereas the Sunset system divides it into only three. I prefer the USDA zone map.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

o

To update your profile to include your zone:

1) Scroll down to the very bottom, left corner of this page and click on Member Pages.
2) Click on Edit Your Membership Details.
3) Under Garden Zone, enter your zone, city and state.
4) Scroll to bottom and click Save Your Member Profile.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Edit Your Membership Details

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 17:52

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here