Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queen_gardener

HAVE: Calla Lily Seedlings

queen_gardener
9 years ago

I have many calla lily seedlings that need homes ASAP as it is getting colder!
Starting the callas from seed was an experiment, and I planted tons because they were older seed, and I didn't know if they would all germinate, but they did!!!! I had a calla nursery this summer, but they need new homes now. I read that they need treated like houseplants the first winter. These are from plants that have survived many many winters planted out in a yard in OH, zone 5, if you can believe that.

Comments (16)

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

What colors do you have? I'm looking for black.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably white, some parents might have been purple. I'd buy a black bulb if I were you. I'm going to buy a Green Goddess calla bulb one day when I can find it/have the money. I'd love to trade for one, though. From what I've read, they don't breed true, so seeds from a black one might not be black, and sterile in addition. I was just doing an experiment with these seeds; first off, seeing if they would even sprout as they were several years old. Well, they ALL sprouted, and now I have lots! Too many to overwinter. Next, I want to see what colors they are, and then if they really are sterile. We'll see in a couple years! I have lots planted out in my yard, we'll also see if they overwinter like their parents!

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

That's really neat. I have planted the black calla lilies this summer. When I dug them up last week, I found out that one must've been dug up by an animal or something, because it mysteriously disappeared. I at least have 2 small bulbs, but they weren't cheap. I think 10.00 each pot. They were already in bloom.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought a pink one on clearance, but it died. :-( It was blooming, and just a little dry, but it quickly died and completely rotted. Don't know what happened, wasn't me. 0_O

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I would just hope for next year. That's what I'm doing with a few plants that didn't make it. I hope you get your pink calla lily. Have you tried posting a want thread for it on here?

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, I'm always posting want threads! Here is something I can offer, and no one really wants it! Maybe next year, when they are bigger, stronger plants . . .

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't tried round robin, don't really understand it . . . but I'll check into it! I've been doing lots of one on one trading of seeds and plants this summer, my first year doing this, and I think I've done pretty well!!! I'll have more to offer next year, I'm sure.

• plant_crazy2099
    9 years ago

If you still have these I am interested.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still have lots!

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

Do you still have seedlings available? I would love to have a few!

--Rick in CT

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello, so so sorry it took me so long to reply! It's just now getting to be nice enough to mail stuff, even though we had a dip down to freezing at night the past three nights. Yes, I still have some, I'll have to go count how many, but how many were you wanting? Do you just want to send postage or do you have something to trade? You can PM me to let me know.

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

I don't see the tab on your profile page to send a PM to you. I'm still trying to figure out this new site. Maybe you can PM me?

--Rick

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

I have seedlings of begonia luxurians, a species begonia which would be a nice addition to your garden. It's tender, so it would have to be brought indoors for the winter, but should get quite large and handsome in a large (1 gallon++) pot, with leaves that resemble palm fronds. I would like 'a bunch' of seedlings, depending on how many you have, 10? 20? Whatever you send would be fine.

PM me when you have a chance.

Thanks,

- - Rick in CT

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL it took me forever to find YOUR trade list, but I don't see where I can PM you - I'm not certain but I think I correctly enabled my own PM, but this site is SOOOO tricky!!!! I saw on your trade list the Epi, and I fell in love with epi's last year, so I'm interested in that, and I would love love love to have just one little bulb of saffron crocus. I will count how many callas I have left, and I probably have lots of seeds left, as well - they are very easy to start, and they had a pretty much 100% germination rate, they are ready and willing to grow!

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

I've become a little frustrated with this site, and the fact that I'm using a smartphone probably doesn't make it any easier! You can email me:

RRedBBeard AT yahoo.com

Put 'GW' in the subject line so I know it's not spam. Ttyl/thanks!

--Rick

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?