Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queen_gardener

WANTED: How to rate trades/traders

queen_gardener
9 years ago

Hello, how do I rate exchanges and traders? What I really want to do right now is find out the ratings of another member because I haven't received my package, and neither has someone else I know who traded with the same person. Wondering if we were scammed. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

First, email them and ask about the trade. Then, check out their name on the "Rate and Review Exchanges" folder. Of course, sometimes people will not be included, but you can start there. Also, you can search the entire site and see what trades they've made.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just found it, I rated everyone I've traded with - I just started trading this summer. I did NOT check the rating for the individual in question before I agreed to trade, I don't see a rating for her dated before yesterday, they were new, I think.

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

So sorry that these types exists here. I too was scammed out of orchids many years ago by someone in FL. Several things to learn from this experience: check when they first registered on GW, Rates & Reviews, and other trades they have going on; have them send you their trade first; and know that on occasion, these types change their name to do more scamming. NOT all newbies are scammers, and I encourage you to enjoy trading with others in the future.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I've certainly learned from this experience, and I'm going to stick close to the people I know and have become friendly with. I am going to be a lot more cautious, I just got so used to the friendliness and they seemed real, talked like any one of the kind people I have traded with here. I should have kept my first trade small. It's not like it seemed too good to be true, there are plenty of people out there who have tons of plants to trade . . .
    I will try to just move on, I just feel really yucky about this right now. I'm praying - for her, not just me. I don't do this trading thing just to serve myself, I truly hope to give people the plants and seeds they are looking for. But I was NOT giving out a large charity donation to this person!!!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Queen-Gardener, can I ask what the other person promises to send you? What plants were you trading for?

• ruth0552
    9 years ago

You are not alone. I tried to trade with someone over the summer who promised a peony and some amaryllis seeds, and I have never gotten them. I've also emailed many times with no response. I posted in the "conversations" portion of the forum, and posted feedback on the rate and review forum. After I posted those, she emailed me claiming she had been sick and had not been very active recently. That would be fine, except that she was still posting for trades on the forum! If she wasn't able to get a plant to the post office I can't imagine how she sent the huge box of bulbs I sent her. I was seriously annoyed.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear you Ruth . . .
    Of course, this might not be a scam after all - I just got an email from her . . . but I've learned a lesson, either way!!!! I'm going to be more cautious and do things differently! I will admit I might not always send when I say I will, but I email an excuse - my life is busy - and I do pull through.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

I didn't know there was a rating here. That said, trades should always be fun and win /win. Communication is important prior to the change......EXACTLY what is being sent (you can always include bonuses), what condition (e.g. established plant in 4" pot or fresh cutting), etc. etc. A good picture helps too. Trades should always be done promptly in my opinion....ASAP, unless other arrangement are made. Sometimes life comes up, there really is a death in the family etc. but if those things occur a quick e-mail to the trader should let them know right away and you should still get your end out within a couple of days. I have had all types of experiences, many more good than not but the bad ones are frustrating.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it's supposed to be fun and even, but it isn't always that way. There is a rate and review forum, I went through and rated everyone I traded with so far, and I started trading this summer, June or July, can't remember. And people should have the courtesy to leave a quick email to say a trade will be delayed, yes life happens, but some people just don't do prompt trades. I have had nothing but good experiences so far. I have made new friends, and some great people have touched my life. I have felt blessed with generosity many times when opening packages that seemed fitting for Christmas Day.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?