Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

HAVE: Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I have three small rooted cuttings of Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea and I'd like to send one each to three people. They are short cuttings that are just starting to put out new growth. Once they begin to grow they can grow fast, so I'd like to send them now, while they are easy to pack.

{{gwi:74295}}

This is a vigorous hybrid, and I'm told if it's planted in the ground it can be a little too vigorous, spreading underground. I was told it's more aggressive than its P. caerulea parent. It also does well in pots, and I've seen plants with a number of flowers blooming in 1 gallon pots.

My plant is currently unbloomed (but with small buds). Here's what the display plant in a large pot looks like at Annie's Annuals:

{{gwi:74296}}

At the bottom of this post I give a link to a closeup photo of the flower from Eric Wortman and Crystal Stone (eristal on Gardenweb), the Passiflora society President and Treasurer. They are big fans of this hybrid. One thing obvious in that photo is the long peduncles (flower stems) of this hybrid, which are characteristic of the P. loefgrenii parent.

These can take hot climates as well as some cold. I've heard 15 or 18 F. Presumably that's for mature plants in the ground. However, they should probably be kept above freezing this first winter.

I can include some seeds with this if anyone is interested.

Small amounts (10 or more) of any of the following:

Eccremocarpus scaber ('Cherry Red')

Asarina erubescens (pink/rose form)

Thalictrum rochebrunianum

Berkheya purpurea 'Zulu Warrior'

Large amounts of any of the following:

Petunia exserta

Trachelium rochebrunianum

I will likely post separately on the Berkheya seeds when I harvest more and check to make sure they are viable. That is a really cool plant.

I'm looking for postage, most likely. One can be sent in its "pot" in a box for under a pound, so $6.30 or $5.90 depending on location. I'm not opposed to the idea of barerooting them and trying an envelope.

I am looking for P. 'Sunburst' and P. murucuja if anyone has rooted/unrooted cuttings of those Decaloba Passifloras.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:74291}}

Comments (12)

• raylynn2
    11 years ago

I would love one I have some stuff to trade outside and inside if you want message me and I'll let you know exactly what I have thanks.

• acacius48
    11 years ago

Hi Randy!

I have P. 'Sunburst' that I can either root or send unrooted cutting to you. I do not have a rooted cutting at the moment but I can get one started. Which ever you prefer!

Sincerely,
    Vanessa

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Vanessa,

That would be great!

What a coincidence--you posted here 5 minutes before I sent you an email I had been writing on my other account.

Randy

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Vanessa,

You were of course already getting this hybrid, but not one of these three..

Randy

• jeannies_garden
    11 years ago

A picture of mine that took over 3 small crepe myrtles. They have beautiful blooms, but tend to take over everything. they come up from seeds everywhere including the yard. This one came up from a seed from my neighbors yard. I live south of Houston. Thanks, Jeannie :)

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can I assume that's Passiflora incarnata, also known as "Maypop"?

Your photo looks completely different, and like the native Passiflora species. That is, of course, and entirely different plant, with different characteristics.

There are hundreds of different Passiflora species, and thousands of hybrids.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just wanted to emphasize that there is not just one type of "Passiflora" with different colored/sized/shaped flowers. They do not have the same habit, size or grow in the same conditions, which is why I was careful to give the temperature and sun requirements for this hybrid. Some only grow under very limited climates. This is a relatively easy one, and would be a good one to try for those who never have grown any Passiflora.

For example, both parents of this hybrid are Brazilian species. Beyond that, they are pretty different.

P. caerulea (the common "Blue Crown" Passionflower):

Hardy to about zone 7
    Spreads underground
    Tolerant of full sun in most/all areas

P. loefgrenii

Hardy to zone 9/10 (I've heard both)
    Doesn't spread underground
    Grows in shade in areas with heat (Florida)

Most people are familiar with P. caerulea, the common blue Passionflower. Here's P. loefgrenii:

{{gwi:74297}}

Here is a link that might be useful: A good online site for Passionflower's--Myles Irvine's in the UK

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

raylynn2, I responded to you by email a day ago and have not heard back.

At this point all three of the rooted cuttings are still available. And again, I'm trading for postage.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I still have the plants, for postage. I thought I would add another couple photos--closeups of the flowers.

This is a great hybrid, which is why Annie's Annuals, Brushwood Nursery, and the SF Botanical Garden (where the hybrid was created) all sell it. It is a recent hybrid.

I photographed the flowers at Annie's Annuals:

{{gwi:74298}}

{{gwi:74299}}

In case you are wondering why it doesn't have a "name", I don't think is due to the fact that the hybrid is new. I believe it's because there are related hybrids made in Europe, and Passiflora Society rules prevent one from registering a second, similar hybrid under a new name. Passiflora 'Betty Myles Young' is one of the simlar hybrids that comes to mind.

• msbatt
    11 years ago

15 to 18 degrees, eh? That means it *might* survive my Tennessee winters---and it's LOVELY!

Last winter, my P. caerulea never even died back to the ground---but last winter was unusually mild.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Judith,

It's easy to root, so you can always save some cuttings inside just in case.

Possibly I have other things you are interested in--I'll contact you.

Randy

• V K
    3 years ago

@mark4321_gw Well, this thread is really old and I am hoping someone's still here :) Does anyone have good tasting fruiting varieties of banana passion fruits? Would love some seeds/cuttings. I live in the bay area.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor