Return to the Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Aristolochia grandiflora

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 23:06

I'm looking for either a rooted cutting (preferably) or unrooted cuttings of Aristolochia grandiflora.

Aristolochia grandiflora is one of the huge-flowered tropical Aristolochias. It's sometimes confused with Aristolochia gigantea, which also has huge flowers, but lacks the long tail found at the bottom of A. grandiflora. I give a link to a Wikipedia photo of A. grandiflora at the bottom.

For trade, as far as other Aristolochias, I have A. macroura rooted and ready to go. I also have a hybrid I picked up at the UC Botanical Garden in Berkeley: A. durior x elegans, which is described as "Hardy giant Dutchman's pipe. Spectacular and unusual 8" maroon flowers adorn this vine through summer months." A. durior is a zone 4 plant, and I've been trying to find any information as to how hardy this hybrid is. I've just rooted the first of these cuttings.

Other plants that I can trade, and are ready, include:

Impatiens namchabarwensis, I. tinctoria, I. flanaganae (tubers)

Begonia luxurians

Calceolaria perfoliata (C. tomentosa?) grows into a large 8+ ft. "vine". All related vining Calceolarias have large yellow pocket book flowers.

Deppea splendens, D. obtusiflora

Agapetes serpens (also A. hosseana and A. smithiana Major, rooted but not ready)

In a couple weeks the following edible tubers will be ready:

Edibles: Oca (Oxalis tuberosa, 2+ varieties), Mashua (Tropaeolum tuberosum)

I also am rooting, or can root, a variety of Passifloras: 'Mission Dolores', membranacea, sanguinolenta, loefgrenii, exoniensis, etc.

I have other plants as well that I've propagated or can propagate, although I don't have a current list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia photo of Aristolochia grandiflora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Aristolochia grandiflora

Randy, I have two different giant Aristolochias, but have never seen one around here with a 'tail'.

o

Kayjones,

Possibly what you have are the two varieties of Aristolochia gigantea that are commonly available, the typical form (8-12 inch flowers) and the 'Brasiliensis' form, which is even larger. I've only seen the 'Brasiliensis' in photos, but both are incredible plants that are well worth growing. The typical form, at least, is easy for me to propagate, as long as bottom heat is used. Not sure if this applies to both, but for a day or so A. gigantea smells exactly like Lemon Pledge. What a cool plant. I had to give mine up due to a move.

I thought I saw A. grandiflora at a nursery, but I went back to look at the plant (and possibly buy it). It had the white irregular flecks/spots on the leaves, which I believe are characteristic of A. gigantea. So perhaps that plant is mislabled.

It is confusing, because both Aristolochia gigantea and Aristolochia grandiflora have specific names both starting in "g", and both essentially mean "huge". From what I gather A. grandiflora is less tolerant of cold, so it might be easier to find in South Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: My old A. gigantea, in a 2 gallon pot

o

I found one place that has this vine for sale:

http://www.zone9tropicals.com/aristolochia-grandiflora-p-124.html

The price was $12.99 for a quart size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone9tropicals

o

Logees, Almost Eden and Glasshouse Works also sell it. I looked into prices at all of those in case I decide I have to go that route. All are roughly $25 total to buy a 4 inch plant and have it shipped to the West Coast. I know that Zone9 is particularly well known for shipping large, healthy plants.

Strangely, Glasshouse Works has pictures of both A. gigantea and A. grandiflora next to their A. grandiflora description. I would be inclined to buy from one of the others as I'm trying to avoid that sort of confusion.

If they are like other Aristolochias I've grown they are easy to root from cuttings so I'd like to pursue that if possible. Surely with that many nurseries selling plants there should be some growing out there.

I have a friend locally who grows Aristolochias. I just checked his grow list, and he lists 16 species, but not that one...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here