Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

One more time-Is your Post Office still overcharging you?

Do they tell you that all bubble envies are Parcels thus $1.17 if 1 OZ or less?

Please post here, and include the statements made by the employees and your experiences. Please also include the street address, city and zip of the PO.

I have drafted a letter which I will mail the postmaster/mistress at that location. I will include any statements their employees have made and relate your experiences. It states also that a copy of the letter will be being mailed to the Postmaster General himself. If they (the offending PO) reply to me, I will also include that in the mass mailing to the Postmaster General.

I had hoped to get something together long ago for the PmG, but life has gotten in the way, and I for sure want to have enough evidence (fuel) to get his attention. This has been a huge problem involving a large theft spanning 20 months so far.

Please help by posting here. I see folks make mention here and there about being overcharged, but have not kept track of them all.

Sue...who refuses to get upset enough to start twitchin...notice...only one Bold word, and no CAPS, or red

Comments (18)

• love2gardennc
    15 years ago

I had to mail a package from a PO that I do not normally deal with. The clerk who had a name tag that stated that she was in training told me that it would be $1.17 to mail my package but when she went to print the meter stamp it was only .83 which she mentioned. I was in a hurry and so did not try to teach her, I was just happy that I didn't have to pay.
    BTW, my post office in Fallston, NC has never over charged me, they are 'AWESOME'.

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Sue,
    I just did a trade with a newbie and she didn't put the correct amount of postage on her bubble envy so I took care of the charge. What was weird is that this trade had just a couple small light seed packets in it and was the very small bubble envy. I usually only need .83 cents for something like this but just like love2gardennc I was charged $1.17. hmmmm. I've never had a problem with my post office overcharging me either. I guess theres always a first time.

Cindy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've never had a problem with my post office overcharging me either. I guess theres always a first time.
    Cindy, it is not necessarily your PO. It could be any number places.

If it is not too inconvenient, why not take them in and debate the issue with your PO. Then next time, you can maybe just let them know that you will not accept being overcharged.

I have gotten them with postage due also, but it has always been a mistake where someone somewhere did not know what they were doing.

Love2g,
    I hope the new employee is well trained and gets it right 100 % of the time in the future.

Sue

• west_texas_peg
    15 years ago

My husband was ready to strangle one of our local postal clerks last week! He went to the window with one seed swap envelope and some bills he was paying. The clerk weighed the Sprint envelope and ran it through the slot 'to be sure' it was not overweight or too thick! Mind you all the envelope contained was a check and stub from the bill; he could easily tell it was not overweight or too thick. The clerks single out our mail whether it's a bubble or not!

He mailed something in the city where he works recently and that clerk did not overcharge.

Peggy

• helenh
    15 years ago

Please help me get this straight. If I request a free seed offer, I put .83 cents on the bubble envelope to mail to the donor's address. Then I enclose three stamps and a label addressed to me (plus my list and note to thank them) for the return unless of course I am getting large seeds. I am dealing with a rural mail carrier; I want to put on enough but not more than necessary. I would hate for the person on the other end to get a postage due on it.

Original Author
    15 years ago

I put .83 cents on the bubble envelope to mail to the donor's address.
    Yes, a bubble envelope containing a note/list, an address label, and some stamps should always be 83 cents to mail out.

Then I enclose three stamps and a label addressed to me (plus my list and note to thank them) for the return unless of course I am getting large seeds.
    Correct, if that is what the offering member has requested.
    They 'may' only need and request 83 cents (2 stamps) for return postage. They 'might' also request more than 3, but whatever is requested is supposed to be' the actual cost of what it will be to return the envy with the agreed upon seeds. They are not to be asking for additional postage, (thus making a profit.) Some may request an additional stamp, in case it is needed due to weight, but will then return it if it isn't used/needed.

I am dealing with a rural mail carrier
    again, 83 should be fine. If it is sent back to you as needing more postage, then you will need to address the issue with your PO, letting them know that it should go as Large Envelope rate, thus 83 cents. If there are problems, please post here as there are additional steps/suggestions one can take if their PO is overcharging.

I would hate for the person on the other end to get a postage due on it.
    The person on the receiving end then has several options of how they can address that with their PO.

I mailed out 2 envelopes of seeds, using my handy dandy postal scale. They were returned to me requesting additional postage. I had put on enough for a 1 OZ BE at Large Envelope rate. The additional postage needed was in the amount that I knew they were charging for 2 OZ. I delayed mailing them until I could get into the PO and inquire about the additional postage that was requested. In weighing them, it was found that my postage was correct and that the request for additional postage was in error. The worker said he would check into the matter as maybe there was a scale that was not weighing properly.

Sue

• helenh
    15 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. I am not normally a seed trader. I got into it a few years ago, but my old computer and dial up made GW not fun. Now I read about plants and want things described. I am trying to do germination tests on some of my saved seeds before I would send them to someone in trade. I'm not a newbie but a rusty.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

I went to the post office to mail bubble envelopes with two stamps on each. Postal worker said those are small parcels, and I need to pay over a dollar for each.
    I said those are large envelopes, and I have mailed the same before with no problem.
    She said I was wrong, and I have to pay.
    I asked her to double-check with her supervisor. She said she does not have to ask anyone, because she KNOWS she is correct, and she is absolutely certain those are parcels, but since I am requesting - she will ask someone.
    After asking two other postal workers, they confirmed those are large envelopes, and I did not have to pay extra.
    She was not very happy - I guess making a mistake made her uncomfortable.
    ~Natalie

Original Author
    15 years ago

My goodness...how sad, but how great that is that there is now one more clerk that knows how to charge correctly.

This Maxine cartoon is especially for her!

{{gwi:26856}}

Sue

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Don't mean to hijack, but forums are acting up and can't post a new thread. Has anyone dissected the new rate increase yet as far as what our non-machinable rates should be for various weights?

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi mmqc!

Under the What's New on GW it says this...
    2.11.09: Our technical team is currently working on restoring the ability to post on our forums. We appreciate your patience as we work towards a resolution.

Has anyone dissected the new rate increase yet as far as what our non-machinable rates should be for various weights?
    I just searched for it and can't find anything other that the regular First Class letter is going up 2¢. It also said that additional ounces would remain at 17¢.

If I remember correctly, last year it was not even published anywhere before the actual day of the raise...maybe a day or two before. I remember asking at a PO just days before the 2008 increase and was told by the clerk that even she was not told exactly what all the increases would be. I guess they just want to get the word out, but don't want people paying the higher rates in error (think? sheesh!) because of potential customer overpaying and then complaining.....like that would ever do any good.

Sue...quitting b4 the twitchin' starts.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Found it over in the 'news' section of google, and an article from consumer reports. Sorry for the interruption; and now back to your regularly scheduled rantings...

Here is a link that might be useful: Postal Notice 123 Effective May 11, 2009

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks mmqc!

It looks like it is a flat 5¢ extra on both Large Envy rates and on parcels.
    Hopefully they will get the rates posted in a non pdf format for those with slower connections. Those things tend to lock up my computer even on highspeed.

Sorry for the interruption; and now back to your regularly scheduled rantings...
    No interruption...you just added a little fuel to the already hot fire.

Sue

• windy_wind
    11 years ago

After reading this thread, I started watching if my post over charge me, and I am disgusted that they do!! Those people at post office are scum!!! They do it on purpose, they over charge my parcel EVERY TIME !!
    I thought post office are honest, boy am I so wrong!!

• itzybitzy_gw
    11 years ago

Oh,gosh I'm so mad right now Overcharged here many times:(,paying over $2.07( I think )for a very small buble envi and I really meant small (7x4 maybe),there is this person in special that hates her job and is always rude anyways my last 2 trades decided to put only 2 forever stamps on it and drop it in my mail box and they got to their place:) so doing that from now on...

• itzybitzy_gw
    11 years ago

OMG,I hate when people do this and I just did: post on a threat that is zilllions years old.Oops sorry about that:-P

• gunnysack
    10 years ago

Not only did the postman walk all over my Iris and kill them the postal clerk charges over $2.00 for every bubble envelope I send. Stamps are high enough without being overcharged.

Gunnysack

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

I have a choice of two post offices and it really depends on who is working the desk. Here is a question about first class postage. I am planning on using a regular letter envelope with a small bubble wrap sheet for my seeds. Do you think that one sheet of bw instead of two will keep the seeds from crushing? I am trying to keep the thickness below 1/4 inch and use only one stamp. If I write 'hand cancel' on the envelope will I need to add more postage?